Tuesday, November 20, 2012

wine vs. whiskey...


Photo: Wine vs. Whiskey tonight!  We're looking forward to seeing everyone who who scored tickets for tonight's event!


over the weekend i went to this event with my sister as my date.  why in the world would a self proclaimed beer drinker go to a wine and whiskey night?  the obvious answer...men!  the other answer is, i'm trying to get out a little more and do grown up things with my sister. 

me: hey sis, want to go to a wine and whiskey tasting
sis: yeah, details so i can clear my schedule
....discussing details....
me: i don't think i like whiskey
sis: me either
me: oh well, we will have fun anyway
 
there was lots of discussion on what to wear.  i'm not sure why, but as i am forever getting older, finding the right attire is getting more difficult.  jeans were out, we were dressing for an event.  cocktail gowns seemed a bit too much.  so what does that leave you with?  i had a dress in mind, it was sleeveless, somewhat sexy but i was going to wear boots instead of hooker heels thinking this would tone it down.  i had to scratch my first outfit due to the fact that my arms are riddled with bruises and i look like i should be taking refuge in a women's shelter.  a heap of options later i decided to go pretty basic; lace and leather.
 
i needed a man's opinion, my son's opinion wasn't cutting it, but he did snap my picture.  which i quickly forwarded to "t-to-the-y".  according to my son he dresses like a fashion model because he wears black boots.  what better person to get an opinion from, right?  along with my picture was the does this work?  i was looking for a yes, or maybe a looks to office-y, instead i got is that a trick question?  a few texts later, it was decided that it was going to work, it was age appropriate, and not too office-y.  phew.
 
sis and i decided to prefunk, this is something grown ups do, have a drink prior to a drinking event.  i got to the destination before her, she was stuck in traffic, so i grabbed the last seat at the bar, which happened to be next to a nicely dressed handsome man.  you can always tell the out of town business man so i asked him where he was from and the basic small talk.  he says to me you look to be about my daughter's age. she just got married last week.   in my head i was thinking, must be a second marriage, but i inquired about the wedding and the age of his daughter.  he said the wedding was great, like he was going to admit anything else, and showed me pictures, then said he was daughter was 26.   hot damn...i'm doing alright.
 
sis and i made it to the event, where each course (there were 5) was paired with two wines and two whiskeys and you had to judge which beverage paired best with the food.  we took a very logical approach, taking one of each, drinking half and swapping.  we both had to drive for heaven's sakes we had to stay legal and remember we are grown ups.  i can hear my friend artifice saying safety first in all caps and multiple exclamation points.

overall the event was fun.  the food was marginal.  the crowd was fun, although sis and i decided there wasn't anyone we would go home with.  the wine was alright and i can confirm that i don't care for whiskey. 

so a little info, i heard about this event through a company called mandeals.  they are kind of like a groupon, but cater the specials towards things that men like.  check it out, there is some good stuff www.mandeals.com  my favorite beverage of the night goes to www.drinksoundspirits.com this is not a whiskey or a wine company, this is vodka and gin.  i really liked the graphics and bottle design. i'm such a sucker for packaging. 

No comments: