Saturday, February 26, 2011

seriously, did you just say that out loud?!

i am an oversharer.  sometimes i surprise myself with how much i am willing to share.  things come out of my mouth and the voice inside of my head says, "seriously did you just say that out loud!?"  i don't think anyone has ever, ever confused me with a vague-er.  this is a term that i came up with today as i was trying to recap my conversation with my friend bethy.

bethy:  well, what did ______ say?
me:  idk...there wasn't enough information to get an answer.
bethy:  what?
me:   ______ is vague, i would like to give you the details, but i have nothing new to report.
bethy: seriously? 
me: what is with those vague people?  i am an oversharer.  those vague, vague-ers drive me crazy, i need more info.
bethy: now she has her head on the counter laughing hysterically at me.  vague-er?  did you just make that up?
me:  yes, what else do you call them?
bethy:  idk, i guess a vague-er.

so naturally i text "t-to the-y" because i know he will get a kick out of my new word:
my text: i don't like "vague-ers"....i know i am an oversharer but vague-ers are just annoying.
t-to the -y reply: haha...this took me a second.  me either hate them.  i'm like a girl...i talk too openly.
bethy is laughing hysterically again.  who would've thought that this silly recap of a conversation could bring on such laughter. 

oh, i should clarify that an oversharer should not be confused with an individual with "no filter".  that is whole different problem all together.  i do not have this problem.  i can pick my words carefully and tactfully as to not offend someone.  so back to oversharer, i honestly don't know how to give an abbreviated version of whatever i am trying to say.  my mother says i have been talking her ear off since i started talking.  i guess it is a gift that i was born with (insert my big grin). 

in addition to being an oversharer, i am also an oral processor.  hey dirty minds, get out of the gutter, i did not say oral process server, i said oral processor.  meaning that when i am trying to solve a problem or wrap my head around an idea, i have to talk about it.  i have to bounce my thoughts off of others, those poor select few that i choose to problem solve with.  man they love me, because i know i can be an exhausting person to be around when i am "problem solving" (insert big grin again).

it is hard to talk to a vague-er.  i feel like i am trying to coax out the answers.  if you asked me how was my day, i would say "good, i had a ton of catch up today, cause i was off yesterday because of the snow and karen has been out all week, but i got it all done and i am ready for monday."  if you asked the vague-er that same question their answer would be, "good."  then you would say, "oh anything exciting happen?" vageu-er "no, not really."  can you see the difference here?  i give you all the info in the first response, where the vague-er makes you keep asking more questions, seriously annoying.

ok, so i have heard that you should give just enough information that whoever you are talking to will want to ask more questions.  okay i can totally buy into that, but that is not what the vague-er does.  the vague-er offers an answer only to the question asked and nothing else. they are kind of like conversation nazis, the bare minimum and nothing more. what in the world is that all about? 

so vague-ers, if i am asking i am interested in what you have to say.  so spill it.  how was your day?  tell me the whole day from morning until now.  if i get bored i will let you know, well you may notice first because i will start to look around, but either way you will know.

No comments: