Thursday, February 17, 2011

reflection...who do you see?

how often do you stare at yourself in the mirror?  when you see your reflection are you seeing your true self?  do you see who you want to be?  do you see all the imperfections, that only you can see?  do you see the beauty of who you are?  when your face is stripped bare do you see yourself differently?  when you have your "face on" do you see a more confident you?

on my new adventure, discovering what i want, what i don't want, who i want to be i find myself staring at myself in the mirror.  looking for a clue as to who i am, what defines me, what do others see?  if i look at all the features of my face individually i like what i see.  for 34 almost 35 it isn't too bad, thanks mom and dad for good genes.

my forehead is not too big, average in size i suppose.  it is forever marked with a smallish scar.  an accident i encountered when i was really little in a laundr-o-mat.  i can still remember getting the stitches.  my forehead is adorned with strong, sometimes manicured eyebrows, they are dark and full, but no unibrow.  my eyebrows are not talented, i cannot make one go up, they move together in unison. 

i love eyes, the windows to your soul.  my eyes are green, mom calls them goose poop, but i prefer green.  they are bright and big, hopeful and sad, inquisitive and longing.  lashes are long, i have to curl them so they don't stick straight out and put on the darkest mascara i can find to make them visible, but overall they are good.  i have crow's feet at the corners of my eyes.  i am not worreid about the wrinkles.  i wear them proudly.  they are a badge of honor that reflects the smile, the warmth, the happiness that i find everyday.

my cheekbones are high.  i always dress them with blush, just on the apples, like a porcelain doll.  maybe this is my attempt at looking innocent and demure or just a beauty tip to look youthful.  you decide...

i have a rather largish nose with the "thaler hump" in the bridge.  the hump is not my favorite, but it is part of my family heritage and i display it with honor.  i am not one who tries to diminish its prominence with fancy make up tips, it is a part of me.

i have full lips, the bottom one is fuller than the top, thanks to years of breathing through my mouth. yes i was one of those disgusting trolls that breathed through their mouth, but i had a really good reason for doing so.  one of my nostrils was blocked with a bone spur for many years and well you just can't breath adequately through one nostril.  they are a naturally pink hue that doesn't require lining or color, just a little chapstick and some gloss.

top this all off with a strong jaw line and square-ish chin.  my chin is embellished with a squiggly scar from a trip over my handlebars that ended with me crash landing into the pavement with my chin...ummm not sure what i was doing with my hands, but there was definitely a short from brain to hands that day.

individually these are all good adequate features.  nothing spectacular but nothing to be ashamed of either.  when i see them all together i am pleased.  there is joy, hope and love that exudes from my reflection.  this is not just the face that i share with the world to see, it is who i am.  sometimes the angle of my jaw reflects the pain and struggles that i have faced, but i have learned to love the glimpse of that pain.  it reminds me that i am strong and i am dealing and rising. 

No comments: