Friday, February 4, 2011

muffin top

i am in my 3rd week of my clothing challenge.  i have to admit that i really do love a challenge and this is a good one.  i have yet to wear even the same article of clothing (shoes definitely don't count i just don't have that many shoes, but i do have a lot).  i had to buy something.  now before you throw the big "YOU LOSE" card at me, hear me out.  i have to wear hosiery for work, it is part of the dress code.  so the other day i put a hole through my last pair of plain black tights.  i do have one other pair, but they are a huge pain in the rear.  the waistband on them is lace.  i'm not sure whose great idea this was, but a lace waistband is just plain stupid!  although it looks pretty, it does not stay up, the most obnoxious thing in the world.  i hold on to them as a back up, in a pinch, when i am running late and my favorite pair is in the wash or what have you. 

so with my persmission from the challenge givers, i bought new tights last night.  in my excitement to make a purchase i bought 6 pairs!  i really wanted to get the Vera Wang tights from Kohls because they are by far the best ones i have ever had.  i will share my tight story in a minute.  i just didn't want to spend the money, i am kinda cheap when it comes to certain things.  so i got 2 pairs of black (a plain and a patterned), 1 gray, 1 teal pair (not practical at all, but i was caught up in the moment), a nude pair with a floral pattern (these seemed interesting and i thought i could rock these) and then a pair of purple thigh highs.  excessive?  i think not.

i got dressed with a little extra kick to my step.  i was excited to put something together with my new purchases.  i picked the thigh highs.  now i haven't worn thigh highs, outside of the bedroom, since i got married.  i love them, they are really beautiful.  the top of the leg is lace with a rubber backing.  i put my stockings on and go look in the mirror.  oh my word it is horrific!  i have a muffin top and not just one but two on my thighs!  this is terrible.  i am adjusting in the mirror and well there is just no getting around the muffin top.  now i am not a heavy girl, but i carry my weight where millions of other women do, through my butt and thighs.  i weighed myself this morning and i topped out at 129lbs and i am 5'8" in the morning ( i love to say that, i stand just a little taller in the morning and well by the evening i am probably more around 5'7 1/2").  so as you can see i am not a big girl, but i do have some extra "winter weight" through my legs.  ugh!  guess i need to keep running.

so i promised a story about my vera wang tights, here you go.  falling is funny.  i laugh at other people who fall (especially my kids after i make sure they are ok) and of course i laugh at myself.  i know it is kind of mean, but it is just funny to me.  so last spring i was walking into work.  now to get into the office i have to walk down an alley.  the actual alley is sloped and paved.  i was wearing a skirt, my black vera wang tights, and my flat black riding boots.  i almost made it to the door and all of a sudden my left foot starts skating down the alley.  i said out loud, "oh crap, i'm going down."  and down i went.  in an attempt to not fall on my ass, i put my right now down.  correction is tried to pile drive the cement with my knee.  ummm....not such a good plan it hurt bad.  i get up and hobble into the office doing the laugh/cry.  so damage report: i totally ruined the front of my boot, took a whole layer off the toe, my knee was bleeding (in fact i have a scar from this incident), but the tights not a snag, hole or any evidence at all that they had just been through a war with the pavement and won.  definitely worth the money, they rock!!

outfits for the week:

Monday: leopard print shirt dress, black cardigan sweater with peplum, black tights and black pumps.

Wednesday: gray turtleneck, unionbay jean skirt, gray tights, red boots and red scarf

Thursday: the maggie skirt (from CAbi), turquoise long sleeve tshirt with button detail at cuff and neck, my favorite boots of all time Biviel knee high carmel colored boots, and a wide braided leather belt.

Friday: brown corduroy skirt, purple long sleeve cowl neck tshirt, purple thigh highs (muffin top and all), brown booties and a red scarf.  scarf was an addition at the last minute in honor of National Wear Red Day.

to all my CAbi ladies, i love that you are doing this with me.  i know you are clothes hounds like me and it is good to go through the piles and see what you have, what you can get rid of, and what you love.  i am finding that there are things that i am in need of (shocking i know) and things that i just can't stand. 

cheers
H

No comments: