Wednesday, March 14, 2012

my two hairs...

in a few weeks i will be turning 36.  wow!  that number is starting to sound old.  i still feel like i am 25 or maybe 26.  for clarification i don't think i am old, because 35 almost 36 is definitely NOT old, the number is just starting to sound old.  thankfully i don't get too wrapped up in the number, unless you are talking about my scale and then it's all about the number. 

quick funny story about my scale.  first it isn't actually mine.  i am housing it for the redmon family while they are abroad.  it is a nice scale that you can program by entering your age, sex, height and it calculates your weight and bmi.  well i have never been able to figure out how to reprogram it so for the past two years "my" scale thinks i am a 37 year old man.  needless to say i don't pay too much attention to the bmi info, but i am guessing that the weight is pretty accurate. 

anyway, as i am continually aging i am noticing more and more changes.  some are not so bad.  in fact i personally think i am aging quite well.  thanks mom and dad. 

high school, probably senior year, at holden village
february 2011  
as you can see i haven't changed too much.  a few more wrinkles around my eyes, but i don't mind those.  same nose, no plastic surgery there.  same creases defining my cheekbones, although i have lost some of the chubbiness in my face.  and there is that smile, see i've been smiling that way my whole life, so smile haters need to just zip it. 

through the face it isn't so bad, from the chin down is another story.  there is something horrifying when you combine gravity and a loss of elasticity.  i'm not really sure what is happening except that i feel like i need a spanx bodysuit.  a giant compression garment that will hold everything up, and tight and maybe it might even improve my circulation and i won't be so cold.  or maybe i need to just even out my right side up and upside down time?  walking on my hands isn't a skill i have ever mastered so this might be challenging, but if i could coax my skin to find my chin  a little more often instead of sagging to my toes it might just stay put. 

however, even the sagging skin, butt, boobs, knees and elbows are okay.  it is a part of aging and i could do more if i wanted.  not plastic surgery just good old fashioned exercise.  so what spurned this wednesday revelation about getting older and changes?   two hairs.  two hairs that i have never noticed before.  two hairs that i quickly yanked out.  they weren't gray, or weird curlies in a new place, or even very long, but they were definitely not going to stay.

these two hairs i found on my chin!  yes my chin!  oh my word!  as i get older i find i don't get super close to the mirror anymore and i never use that magnified mirror, some things are just better left from afar.  my mind was racing...how long have those hairs been there?  since they weren't too long, not long enough to blow in the wind, i'm thinking these are relatively new.  has anyone else noticed them and just not said anything?  do i have other weird facial hair that shouldn't be there?  is there hair in my ears?  this is usually a male thing, but i am paranoid now. 

as you can imagine i pulled out that magnifying mirror and examined my entire jaw line.  my lineage is italian and german and i have my fair share of body hair.  my kids have never had lice, but i was wishing i had a lice comb so i could fluff up my peach fuzz and see if there were any long strays trying to hide.  today, i only found the two.  a campfire song popped in my head

she had two hairs upon her head (chin came to mind)
one was alive and the other was dead
callame a mallame ookistan a waa waa okimoka mo was her name

i guess i am going to have to start looking for rogue hairs.  i am guessing that they are going to start popping up in strange places; back of my arm, shoulder, maybe the bikini area will start creeping down my legs.  i have no idea what to expect, but just a warning all you rogue hairs,  i am on to you. 

No comments: