Thursday, March 15, 2012

fueled by mommy juice....

breakfast.  the most important meal of the day, right?  i don't know.  i have heard that it is, but i am not usually hungry when i get up.  or an hour after i get up.  or even two hours after i get up.  i typically don't get hungry until about 10:00, this is four whole hours after i get up.  by the time ten rolls around i am sitting comfortably at my desk, but my stomach is eating itself, loudly protesting the lack of nourishment.

my mornings, fueled by several cups of mommy juice, aka coffee for all the non-mommies,  are a whirlwind.  from seven until nine it is a fast paced circus; juggling (cooking, dressing and dishes), taming of the lions (the constant bickering and bantering coming from adoring siblings), and of course a death defying tightrope walk (me tottering in heels carrying my lunch, a cup of coffee no lid, purse, and anything my kids have decided not to carry on their own).  a circus indeed.  thank heavens for the mommy juice.

i have been doing this working gig for a few years now, you would think that i would have this system down pat, but i don't.  i have never forgotten a meal for my kids, but i often forget my own nourishment.  i try to keep things on hand at work that i can keep at my desk that one won't attract critters and two that will keep.  oatmeal is one of those things.  a random tidbit i like hot food.  i am not a huge fan of cold food.  maybe this has to do with the fact that i am almost always shivering.  whatever the case, i like hot food, and oatmeal fits the bill.

i buy the giant case of quaker instant oatmeal  from costco, but my kids only eat two of the four flavors.  they refuse to eat the apple & cinnamon because of the apples.  i'm beginning to question if they are my children, that is my favorite part.  they also refuse to eat the plain, it just isn't sweet enough for them.  so what in the world is one to do with all those packets of plain oatmeal?  the answer is simple, add stuff to it.

as much as i would like to say this is my own creation, i cannot.  i saw it on pinterest.  no surprise there, it is my new go-to place for all things recipes. and fashion. and humor. and well everything.  this recipe is brought to you by: http://www.familyfeedbag.com/2011/03/banana-coconut-oatmeal.html.  i haven't perused the rest of the blog, but there seems to be other oatmeal add-ins that look just as delicious.

maybe i will be become a breakfast eater after all?   there are bound to be fall off the breakfast wagon days, but that's to be expected, right?  i know my circus isn't going away anytime soon, so i guess we will just see what other kind of late morning, make-at-work-easily breakfast concoctions i (or pinterest) comes up with. 

No comments: