Sunday, March 11, 2012

just sinead it...

one of my guilty pleasures is getting my haircut.  guilty pleasure?  i suppose it doesn't really seem like a guilty pleasure but it is one of the only things that i do just for me.  my kids don't get to come, i leave my phone in the car, someone else washes my hair and for one blissful hour i get pampered.  guilty pleasure indeed.

i adore my stylist, charlotte.  a dear friend of mine, stephanie, introduced me to charlotte, ten years ago when i was pregnant with P.  i have been seeing her ever since.  i have never cheated on her nor have i ever considered finding a new stylist.  charlotte is perfect.

i religiously get my haircut every 8-10 weeks, depending on what i am doing with my hair.  currently i am growing it, which charlotte has not let me forget, even when i beg just cut it i can't stand it.  somehow being a single mom, with very limited time, and an even more limited disposable income i have not made it into the salon since june.  yes june of 2011!  i have made several appointments but something always seems to come up; sick kids, snow days, earthquakes not really but it seemed more dramatic.  anyway,  i finally made it in.

for those of you who have a regular stylist you will understand that they are very similar to a therapist or best friend.  you tell them all your dirty secrets, you share your current events, you celebrate, you cry, and you share advice on anything and everything.  seeing your stylist is an hour long therapy session with one awesome benefit, you walk out looking fabulous.  i say this every time make me look fabulous.

however this time i started with i am ready for my lashing.  here's the deal folks i have committed atrocious crimes against my hair.  i don't spend money on quality shampoos and conditioners or styling products, i used to but i don't have that kind of money anymore.  i blow dry it everyday, this is really hard on your hair.  then i take an iron to it and scare the curls away, even harder on your hair.  i do use an iron designed to be used on your hair.  i haven't gone totally ghetto and use my clothes.  one i am not flexible or talented, i am likely to remove my ear or a huge section of hair.  besides i think this is a two person job and my kids are probably more inept than i would be.  yeah, that idea has disaster written all over it.

with all these crimes i have committed i was ready for charlotte to say we are just going to have to sinead it.  i told my boss before i left that i may come back bald.  he told me that wouldn't be good my head isn't shaped right. huh?  i never thought about my head shape.  so i sat in the chair almost nervous.  thankfully she couldn't see that my hands were clamped together in a grasp that would've taken tools to undo.  instead of the sinead look she said you are still growing it right?  let's just trim it up.  phew!  although i was prepared for a dramatic bald look, i'm not sure it is the best look for me. *wink*

well, as always i walked away looking fabulous.  being the master stylist charlotte is, i left with a cute curled hairdo that she accomplished with the flat iron.  i am still in awe of how to do this, i won't be trying that skill at home. i thoroughly enjoyed my hour of guilty pleasure, i definitely needed the pampering.  i can't wait for my next appointment at the end of may.  maybe i will make a countdown paper chain? 

thank you charlotte!  you are the best!!

No comments: