Thursday, October 25, 2012

we would have cute babies...

baby.
several months ago my sister and i were having brunch at one of our favorite brunch places.  a quaint french restaurant in the heart of seattle, la campagne.  i always eat the same thing, croque madam a glorified breakfast sandwich.  it is to die for.   if you are ever in seattle go look it up.  you won't be disappointed. 

anyway, we were talking about men and dating, you know the usual sister talk.  quick facts about my sister; she is 18 months younger than i am, is a work-a-holic, is beautiful, and is perpetually single.  she seems to be on the fence about kids with only one eyelash on the yes side.  chances are pretty slim that my sister will have her own children.  you can imagine my surprise when she said

we would have cute babies.... 
 
i can't remember who she was talking about, but i do remember looking up at her with a curious look on my face.  she chuckled and said, i always wonder what our kids would look like if this was the guy.  this surprises me, not because i don't see my sister as maternal, but i had no idea she thought about kids this way.
 
not sure why i was so shocked.  such a normal thing to do.  i do the same thing.  what?  as most of you know i am not really looking to have more kids, but if i were in a committed relationship and my partner was wanting a child i wouldn't be able to deny that.  or if i won the lottery and was somehow filthy rich, i would definitely have another baby.   anyway, just as my sister, i wonder about my imaginary baby. 

let's take the man i am currently entangled with.  he has beautiful skin, is taller than the men i usually date, has an athletic build, good teeth, really pretty hands, trashed feet (too much soccer), and inviting eyes.  i will take all of those features minus the feet our baby can inherit my feet they are pretty cute.  of course i would want some of my best features to be included.  bottom line we would have cute babies.

not only do i daydream about what our children would look like.  i imagine what kind of parents we would be together.  how differently would i parent if my partner were actually involved?  i know that i parent differently from when i was married as to now.  there aren't huge differences, but when my kids are in my home, i don't consider how my ex would've wanted things, it's exactly how i would run the show.

well, having another baby is not in my immediate future or my far off future at this point in life.  however it is fun to imagine.  for now if i am needing a baby fix, i head right over to bethy's and hold one of the babies there. 

No comments: