Monday, October 22, 2012

low clearance...



 
i had a mishap this weekend.  i am in great pain and may have a slight concussion, but i remember my name, who my kids are, where i live and that i love pepperoni.  however my head hurts real bad.  there isn't anything i can take to relieve the pain, which i think is by design.  the pain is there as a reminder, "hey dumbass what were you thinking?"

sunday morning
 
all i want to do is stay snuggled up in my bed where it is nice and cozy and i can hear the slow breathing of him next to me.  instead i have to get up, quietly pad my way through a dark house and wake my kids.  we are leaving in 30 minutes for the game.  dress warm it's is really cold outside.  what do you want for breakfast?  three different breakfast requests later my crew has eaten (except for me), we are all dressed (in many layers except for the soccer star), i have an extra cup of coffee (to drink during the game) and the four of us are loaded and running late for a soccer game. 
 
if you know me well, you know that i loathe being late.  i especially dislike being late when i am driving to a new place.  thankfully my co-pilot knew where we were going.  however, in order to get to the game on time i had to channel my stellar mario kart skills to navigate sleepy drivers, speed traps and heavily rutted roads.  good news...we made it with time to spare. 
 
the soccer star went to go warm up and stretch while the kids and i donned our final layer of protection from the weather.  although the leaves are still changing color and clinging to the trees, the weather has skipped the cool fall days and jumped right into frigid winter days.  the kids and i hoofed our chairs, blankets, and coffees up to the field to set up camp.  miss p and i nestled into our chairs and ash decided that up in the limbs of a fir tree provided better warmth and cover from the wind.
 
at half time i decided to run back to the car and look for the hand warmers i was positive were there.  my attire becomes crucial to the next part of this story.  i did not shower before coming to the game, i threw on a hat with a bill to hide my atrocious bed hair.  i have never been one of those ladies who can wake and look like a million bucks, the name of the game is camouflage and disguise. 
 
i decided to run back from the car to the field and take a short cut.  the short cut required that i run under some tree limbs.  you might be able to guess where this is going, but you should be thinking cartoons right about now.  so i am running, see the limb, duck, but apparently i didn't duck far enough.  i slammed my forehead, right above the bill of the hat, into the lowest tree branch.  now in cartoons the idiot who runs into tree limbs has a very dramatic collision with the ground; back flat on the ground, feet in the air and arms splayed above their head.  fortunately this did NOT happen to me. 
 
i crashed, readjusted how low i needed to duck and kept going.  this is not to say that it didn't hurt like crazy.  because let me tell you i saw stars for a moment.  i kept going without reacting because i didn't want anyone to notice that i am giant idiot.  i made it back to my chair, settled in, fired up the hand warmers and watched the rest of the game without incident.
 
fast forward 24 hours
 
i woke up this morning, got in the shower and OUCH!  just touching my forehead is tender.  washing my hair was an even more painful endeavor.  applying moisturizer without pressure now that is a new skill i didn't know i had.  i cannot seem to shake the overwhelming throbbing pain pulsing in my noggin.  thankfully i am not bruised at least not visibly bruised in my face.
 
moral of the story
 
this is important seeing as how i am just learning it and i am thinking i should've learned this when i was under the tutelage of my mom when wearing a billed hat, you're vision is compromised and you should take extra precaution when running under things. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ya know, sometimes i really worry about u lol

Unknown said...

marvin...i am beginning to think that i need a full protective suit helmet included :)