Monday, October 29, 2012

don't annoy the writer...

Pinned Image

i love this.  i seem to write about the people in my life a lot.  i purposely don't use names of certain individuals because well, i don't always have nice things to say about them.  i hear quite often oh i don't mind if you use my name.  that happens when i share something flattering and positive about an individual.  i am guessing that same individual would be glad to see that i've never used their name when i share something negative and unflattering. 
 
i happen to be in an annoyed state. is what i have to say negative and unflattering? you betcha.  my beef started with a certain individual but can be generalized.
 
people with kids as opposed to people without kids.  there is no way for someone without kids to understand how much work goes into having kids.  you may be able to get a glimpse if you spend enough time under the same roof, but until you have your own kids there really is no way to explain or comprehend what having kids really entails.  add in the fact that i am single parent and the work load has tripled. 
 
a typical weekday, for me, starts at 6 am.  i spend the first hour of my day in peace and solitude enjoying my morning rendezvous with joe (my cup of coffee).  from 7-8:15, i am in full swing; showers, making breakfast, packing lunches, solving sibling quarrels, picking out clothes, dishes (can't stand coming home to a sink full of dirty dishes), planning dinner and racing out the door to drop off kids for school.  from 9-3:45 i am at work.  4-8pm is a whirlwind; pick up kids from bus, drop off our carpool kid, homework and dinner, get to sports practice or youth group, come home and get ready for bed.  most afternoons i don't have time to change my clothes let alone sit down.  i run my vacuum through my downstairs at least every other day, most of the time every day.  laundry is always going.  somehow i manage to fit in cleaning bathrooms, scrubbing floors, taking care of a feline, baking goodies, and spending quality time with my kids (reading, wrestling, playing a game, what have you).
 
by the time 8:30 rolls around and the kids have gone to bed i'm beat.  i have no more energy.  i am desperate to get out of my work clothes that i have been in since 8 that morning.  i am craving some peace and quiet.  i just want to veg or go to sleep.  most of the time i cozy into my bed with my latest book and get lost in a life that may or may not be as hectic as mine.  most nights i am sound asleep by 9:30 and ready to start my day again at 6 the next morning.
 
before i go any further, i love this.  i don't enjoy being idle, it gives me too much time to realize that i work myself to the core everyday.  i truly enjoy being an involved mom with my kids; making every practice, game or event, cooking their meals and watching them grow and flourish.  i complain a lot about the little stuff, but overall being a mom is the best job.  i also really enjoy all the domestic stuff i just wish i wasn't so cramped for time. 
 
here is where the annoyed part comes in.  when someone, who has spent a fair amount of time in my home, sees how hard i work and watches all that goes into making sure everyones needs are met whines i wish you would just be here with me really bothers me.  as if i have extra time.  i am the only one around to make sure this stuff gets done, i don't have time to lay in bed all day.  i wish i did, but i don't.  then when i try and explain why i don't have the time and they hush me because they are now too busy really fires me up. 

i think what people who don't have kids fail to realize is that once you have kids your life isn't about you anymore.  your life suddenly becomes day in and day out of modeling what being a responsible, productive, well rounded adult is.  you demonstrate good work ethic by going to work everyday.  you share your knowledge by introducing skills and trades into their lives.   you model compassion, empathy, anger, and joy by sharing your life and emotions with these sponges who soak every last bit in.  it is a never ending constant job.
 
like i said in the beginning, there is no way for a person without kids to understand what it really means to have kids, but i think it is possible to be a solution to the load instead of adding to it.  since i'm not a real writer, there is no novel to kill off the character who has annoyed me, but if i was i have some ideas...

No comments: