Tuesday, April 3, 2012

one please...

one for the hunger games

small popcorn, please

with my single serving popcorn, just a couple of napkins and immense anticipation i entered the dimly lit theater.  i scan the theater for the perfect seat, for just one.  i see many couples, groups of friends and a couple of parent/child teams occupying the rows.  this particular theater you enter from the back of the theater, so i take a seat in the first row i come to on the aisle. 

as i get settled into my chair, in an empty row, i felt kind of like a loser.  there are a lot of lonely things one does when they are single.  going to movies, eating at a restaurant, or sidling up to a bar all in the company of just yourself are in my opinion some of the loneliest.  on the flip side there a lot of things that are done best alone.  going to the bathroom, having your yearly pap smear or going to the shrinks office come to mind.

when i am at the movies i am craving to share the experience.  i want to talk about the previews.  which upcoming movies i will be purchasing advanced tickets for and which ones i would rather poke myself in the eye than spend my money seeing.  if the movie theater has trivia before the previews i can engage my companion in a little friendly competition.  it just isn't the same to sit there and yell out the answer, the other patrons just think you are being obnoxious.  now i don't talk much during the movie but i want to after, comparing thoughts, favorites and dislikes.  you don't get to do any of this when you go to the movies by yourself.  it's the pits.

i finished my popcorn just as the movie started.  here is one small benefit of going alone, you can control the amount of crunching in your personal space.  the movie was captivating, it grabbed me right from the get go.  towards the end i leaped a mile out of my seat, i am pretty sure my rear completely left the cushion.  i'm not sure if i would've jumped as much with another human next to me, but i could've grabbed onto them at the very least and slowed my heart just a bit.  i jetted out of the theater as soon as the credits started rolling.

i loved the movie.  it is definitely worth seeing in the theater.  find a companion, it is just so much better.

No comments: