Friday, April 27, 2012

beach life...



i've decided that i want to live at the beach.  it doesn't need to be sandy, actually i prefer the sound of water tumbling the rocks over sand.  it doesn't need to be in a climate that is exceptionally warm, i have no plans of moving away from washington, snohomish county to be exact, any time soon.  besides i don't really prefer to be parading around in my bathing suit.

i spent most of sunday at the beach.  it was unseasonably warm for april.  i'm talking tank tops and shorts weather and for those crazy town folk swimsuits.  i am too casper white to be that exposed.  the kids played with their friends, i sat in my camp chair shooting the breeze with my friends. heavenly. 

during the summer when i don't have my kiddos you can often times find me at the beach.  if you don't live in washington you should know that the only summer month we have sunshine with considerable heat is august and even then you can't really count on it.  so,breezy and chilly or sweltering and dripping sweat i sit at the beach.  almost always i am on my beach blanket, you know those woven ones from mexico that the locals sell you at the beach?  well i have two of those, a blue and a yellow one, i chose to purchase the blanket instead of the hammock.  seriously what in the world am i supposed to do with a hammock on a beach? 

anyway, i've got my blanket.  if it's a chilly day i probably have my winter gear with me; hat, gloves, jacket and another blanket. yes i look like a fool.  if it's a sweat your fanny off day i just have the blanket.  i usually have a giant thing of water, although i wish i could have an ice cold beer, but that's not allowed at public beaches.  i also have some other provisions (munchies, music, and sunscreen) to sustain me through the day.

with the right provisions and a "can't put it down" book, i can sit at the beach for hours and be totally content.  the sound of the water, the sun (whether it is heat producing or not) shining down on me, fresh air, food, drink and book feeds and soothes my soul in a way most things can't.  the question is would i enjoy or make the time to have those moments if i lived there 24-7?  probably not, i think we tend to take for granted our surroundings.  i would probably fill my time with chores, kids, and life, instead of reveling in the glory of the beach. 

maybe instead of having a permanent residence at the beach, i should have a vacation home at the beach.  yes, this is sounding much better.  i can escape, said in dory's voice from finding nemo, from my normal chaotic existence i call my life and go chillax in my haven.  now i need to win 20 kajillion dollars so i can update my current living status, get a shiny new car, get my vacation home on the beach and add a devilishly handsome man to accompany me.  the man i am not purchasing, thought i should clarify that. *wink*

No comments: