Thursday, November 3, 2011

pint-sized blogger....

my daughter wants to write a blog....

oh my goodness!  this is terrifying to me.  shall we recap my daughter?  okay we shall.  first off she is nine and three quarters.  the three quarters is uber important when you are approaching double digits.  she is precocious, outspoken, fiercely loyal to her best friend, stubborn.  did i mention outspoken?  did i mention that she is only nine?

my first thought is what in the world is she going to write about?  friends, the argument she got into with me, how she deliberately pokes at her brother, her christmas list, how she wants to be a singer/actress, her favorite color, her cat oscar, how much she hates that her parents are divorced, her idols, her dreams, or maybe the boy she has been crushing on since first grade.  i suppose she does have a lot she could write about when i list it out like this.

my second thought, she needs an outlet.  my daughter and i are similar in many ways.  P is very creative with her words.  for nine and three quarters she has a huge vocabulary, she reads almost three grade levels above her grade.  she has a knack for stringing words together.  she is a budding a songwriter.  P has a desire to be heard, just like her mamma.  i think this is part of the reason why i started blogging, i felt like my ideas, opinions, thoughts were never heard and maybe just maybe if i put them out in this format someone will pay attention.  well P is no different, she has so much to share i think she feels squelched by the confines of her life that she needs a way to share with others.

my biggest fear, how will she portray me?  i am blessed with a girl who isn't afraid to speak her mind.  often times this means that she writes me hate mail.  the hate mail usually comes after we have disagreed about something, or she didn't get her way, or i stopped her before she even had the chance to spit it out.  the outside of my hate mail usually looks nice with hearts or smiley faces on the front

to: mom
love: peyton

but inside is a whole bunch of hate.  proclaiming that life isn't fair, she has an opinion, she can make her own decisions and my favorite...i am the worst mother ever.  it can be hard not to giggle when i am reading this, because i know she really doesn't mean it, but at that very moment she has so much built up yuck she just spews it out.  throwing around random hatred just to get it out of her head. 

yes i am fearful as to how she would portray me.

at her school conference this year, her teacher recommended that i let her help me write a post start to finish.  she has a problem revising her work and he thought it would be helpful for her to see how much i edit before i actually publish something.  of course she heard this and decided instead she just wanted her own blog.  she is too cool for a collaborative piece. 

hmmm....i have been thinking about it.  i think i might let her write a piece and post it on my blog but make very clear that the thoughts are all P.  i may be opening a huge can of worms, but maybe, just maybe she will find writing her thoughts just as therapeutic as i do. 

No comments: