Saturday, November 19, 2011

homogenized

H-O-M-O-G-E-N-I-Z-E-D

when i was in 5th grade, mr. landoni's class, i was in a spelling bee.  i never made it past my school's own competition because i misspelled homogenized.  i will never, ever, EVER forget how to spell this word ever again.  i was so excited to be in the spelling bee.  i had huge dreams of being this master speller.  my dreams were squashed in my first bee, but it sparked my love of words.

5th grade was an incredible year, i might even go so far as to say my best elementary school year.  i was very "showy" in 5th grade.  i was in the spelling bee, the school play and i was a story teller.  there is a video floating around of a very animated me telling rapunzel to a group of first or second graders.  oy!  my mom loves this video, so much that she would hold viewings for potential suitors when i was in high school. of course, i confiscated it and hid it in the bottom drawer of my dresser until i moved out and i have it safely tucked away in a box. 

this morning, saturday, i watched my daughter's face light up.  we were at the microsoft store in bellevue, where she received a certificate of accomplishment for a writing competition at school.  i am so incredibly proud of her.  she may not make it any farther in the competition but she puts herself out there.  she puts herself out there to be seen, to be judged, to be heard.  she is fearless.

i'm not really sure when or where i lost my fearlessness, but i am slowly regaining it.  maturity came with caution.  caution was interpreted as don't draw attention to yourself fool, just get through school. 
caution turned into habit.  habit turned into marrying someone who wasn't the best fit for me. wasn't the best fit turned into wit's end and drastic change.  drastic change is finding the real me, which is essentially the adventures of flo.  wow that is quite the life cycle.  remember learning life cycles in school?  the circle diagram, that is what i picture with a big ol' head shot of me in the middle.

at 35 you aren't going to catch me in a play, or a spelling bee, or singing at the local bar.  i just don't draw attention to myself in that manner anymore.  i can, however, guarantee that any time, any where, any place i will be able to spell homogenized. go ahead and try me!

H-O-M-O-G-E-N-I-Z-E-D

No comments: