Monday, November 21, 2011

love note...

write me a love note

am i the only one out there starving for romance? 

we live in a world where everything is instant.  our communication is instant, our food is instant, an idea can be made into reality in no time at all.  with so many advances in technology, medicine and science we no longer have to wait.  i think this has left us a little impatient.

i am no exception.  when i want something i want it now.   i am very impatient when it comes to certain things.  when i want coffee i just press a button.  i might actually die if i had to fill up my tea kettle, wait for the water to boil then pour the scalding water over the coffee grounds, wait for it to steep before pressing the plunge, and finally pouring it in my mug.  oh my gosh!  i definitely would die.  even getting in my car and driving to the nearest coffee stand/shop would be too much. 

i have a friend in spokane that i talk to everyday via text.  our conversations basically happen in real time, except for a few second delay.  i can read the message and respond within a minute.  it is almost like having this friend on my couch enjoying a cup of coffee that i only had to press a button to make. we have joked about ditching our phones and writing letters.  ummmm....no can do, i am way to addicted to my phone, but the romance of it is intriguing.

texting has changed my life in a way that i can keep in touch with so many of my friends at any given moment without really interfering with what i am doing laundry, making dinner, or using the restroom.  yes i do use my phone in the bathroom sometimes, but just think if i was actually talking to you on the phone instead of texting you....what would you hear?

as much as i love texting there is a part of me that is longing, yearning, starving for something else.  a little mystery.  a little suspense.  the anticipation that only comes with having to wait.  can you even imagine corresponding with a lover, a bosom buddy, or your parents if all you had was the postal service?

would you check your mailbox more often?  i would.  i would check it everyday, hoping for that one letter with its distinct script on the envelope.  when it finally arrived, the rest of the world would melt away while i sprawled across my bed to read the words from my beloved.  i can picture myself holding the words close to my heart as i let out a heavy sigh.  i wouldn't waste any time penning my beloved.

to my dearest love,

if i wore perfume i would want to spray the stationary so when my beloved opened my letter it would remind him of me and maybe of a time that we shared together.  i might even kiss the paper after applying a healthy dose of true red lipstick.  oh my gosh, i am so sappy and mushy.  i suppose this is all very Gone With the Wind  or  Anne of Green Gables -esque, but boy it seems romantic. 

life today isn't as it used to be, but i can tell you there is a way to infuse a little romance into a modern day message.

hope you have an amazing day!
may colors seem more vivid than usual
and your coffee taste remarkably better than it ever has before!

No comments: