Wednesday, November 23, 2011

cactus does not taste like green beans....

i am sitting here on the eve of the only acceptable day for gluttony, excited about the festivities.  however, i am struggling with what to write about.  i am torn between being sentimental and sappy, i've been doing that a lot lately, and infusing a good dose of turkeylicious humor.  can i do both? 

this is typically a month of thankfulness.  when i peruse facebook i see many friends who make a daily post of something they are thankful for.  i did this last year, it was fun, kind of silly at times (i was thankful for chapstick one day), sometimes meaningful (my friends and family) and always sincere.  i have decided not to partake this year, instead i am going to write a blog post.  su-prise, su-prise, su-prise....anyone know what movie that is from?  i can't remember, but i can hear the man's voice in my head.

do you remember the friends episode where monica is making thanksgiving dinner and she is trying appease everyone and is preparing potatoes 5 different ways?  that was a funny one.  anyway, i don't have a story like that, but i have great memories of turkey day meals, thought i would share a couple.

i like green beans.  this may come as shock to some because i don't do cooked veggies, but green beans is one that i do like.  please don't drown them in some horrible cream-of-something soup, there is nothing appealing about grayish-green green beans.  one year while shopping for the fixins, the produce lady somehow convinced my mom that cactus, yes cactus, tastes just like green beans.  i am sure that lady was smoking something because i will be the first to tell you cactus tastes NOTHING like green beans.  the cactus year we also had cornish game hens instead of turkey, why i can't remember, but use your imaginations and picture our plates.  half of a personal sized bird with minuscule legs and wings, a slab (actually i am not sure what you even call it) of cactus, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing (which i refuse to eat, my mom totally ruined this for me, she puts liver in it) rolls, and cranberries from the can with the rings embedded into the gelatinous mass....yummy!

my dad is a huge turkey skin fan.  truth be told so am i.  i am a scavenger when it comes to kitchens, hovering at the edge of a counter, ready at any moment to swoop in and pick a piece of whatever.  following traditional etiquette, my dad is the carver at his holiday meal.  this is always done in the kitchen, not at the table like in the movies, and when i with him i am the wing man, helping him plate the chunks of meat onto the enormous platter and stealing skin when the opportunity arises.  so one year, my sis and i hid the plate of skin my dad assembled for himself.  dad kind of went into a panic when he noticed it was gone.  my sis and i casually told him that we had eaten it.  he was so upset i thought he was going to carve us right there and then.  my sis and i have never made that mistake again, it just wasn't worth the ire that arose from my dad. 

so here we go friends, a day of gluttony is upon us.  enter the day remembering all the blessings you have in your life.  for me i have wonderful kids who encourage me to grow, friends who provide counsel and laughter, family that loves me even when i don't deserve it, a job that pays the bills, fabulous clothes on my back, a belly full of delicious food and a new roof over my head.  my life is definitely blessed. 

1 comment: