Wednesday, November 2, 2011

eaters...apply within. i'm stuffed

i am in love. 
 yes. 
 in love.

i suppose the next logical question is with who?  and maybe you are thinking, seriously heather you just broke up with your boyfriend.  you've been a tortured mess.  now you are professing your love?  again?!  maybe you are hanging your head in shame that you know me?  maybe you are jumping up and down with joy for me (probably not, i mean who really cares that much)?  maybe you are just thinking here we go again...at least the journey is interesting enough to read? 

well it is not with a who...it is with a what.  what?  okay, now she has really fallen off her rocker.  what is she talking about?  in love with an inanimate object?  where is the straight jacket and padded room?  quick, if we sneak up from behind she may not put up much of a fight...clearly you haven't met me.  i may look fragile and frail but i am scrappy.  it's the scrappy ones you have to be wary of.

my fridge is full. 
my freezer is full. 
my pantry (well i don't really have one of those) is full. 
 i am in love. 

if you follow my blog or my facebook page you will have noticed that i have been cooking up a storm.  i am not sure if it is the time of year?  or that i am rediscovering my love of cooking and actually taking the extra step of planning it?  or if i have just been hungry?  whatever the case, i've been cooking.  i kind of feel like i am nesting....no i am not pregnant.  but for the ladies, you may recall this urge to prepare for the arrival.  yeah, that's the feeling.  it must just be the weather.

i am running into a problem.  as much as i love to cook  i can only eat so much. so why do i make so much?  well when i am cooking a recipe, especially a new recipe, i follow the directions exactly.  there is no substitutions, unless it calls for mushrooms those are omitted.  every time.  i don't cut the recipe in half.  i get that this is easy enough to do, when it calls for 2 cups you use 1 cup so on and so forth, i just don't do this on my first go around.  besides, how do you cut 3 eggs in half? 

my household consists of three humans and one feline.  only one of those humans (me) really eats.  my kids, the other two humans, aren't as adventurous.  my son would live off of apples, peanut butter, cheese and crackers and cereal if i let him.  most often he looks at his plate and says i don't like this.  i am not a mom who insists that my kids eat what is on their plate, but they do have to try it and i am not making something different for them to eat.  my daughter is a little more adventurous in her food but claims she can't chew meat.  this is not to be interpreted as i am a vegetarian because that isn't the case either, i think it is all in her head.  the feline, oscar, he doesn't eat too much people food.  an occasional lick of a tuna can but i wouldn't consider that enough of a contribution to count.   

recipes and packaged food isn't really geared towards a family of three, two or even one.  there is a scene from a movie father of the bride that comes to mind.  george banks is at the grocery store attempting to purchase hot dogs and buns.  anyone remember this scene?  he is stressed to the max with the cost of the wedding and flips out at the store.  he is so irritated that he has to buy more buns than dogs, starts removing the buns from the package because he just isn't going to put out one more penny for things he doesn't need.  hilarious. 

there is a point to this reference i just can't put my finger on it.  i am distracted with scenes from that movie floating around in my head.  i think i might need to watch this movie soon.

anyway, we aren't a left over family.  if at the end of our meal there is food left i package it and store it in my fridge.  there is something sacrilegious about throwing away freshly prepared food.  however, if it is two week old science experiment worthy food i have no problems feeding my hungry garbage can.  so here in lies my dilemma, i have gotten really good at making just enough for my family of three, but i get tired of eating the same things over and over again so i make something new, which inevitably means i will have food left over.  ugh!

what am i missing?  a man.  another human who will consume the food at my table.  from my experience men are typically living breathing garbage disposals.  they will eat just about anything.  from cold soup directly out of the can to a five course meal.  if it isn't moldy, curdled or smell funny they will consume it.  i love this about men. 

i wonder?  would it be odd to put out an ad?  an ad for just a dinner guest?  how stringent would the screening process have to be?  i certainly don't want to put my kids or myself in danger by having some whackadoo at my table, but another eater would be fantastic.  i could try out all my new recipes, the food would get eaten, the conversation would most certainly be different than our usual kid talk, and our guest would have had a hot meal and would leave with a full belly.  ok that is silly.  somethings sound much better in rapid fire suggestion than thought out suggestion, but it would be nice to have another eater.








No comments: