Thursday, March 17, 2011

enjoying the lull

i had an unexpected quiet 90 minutes to myself while the kids were at champs tonight.  this doesn't happen very often and i relish, savor and look forward to these moments.  i suppose i could've cleaned a bathroom, scrubbed a floor, put away my daughter's clothes that i so lovingly washed and folded for her, but instead i am sitting.  i am resting my run down, ragged, weary body on my oh so comfy couch, enjoying the lull of a break. 

there is no kid noise, no bickering about who is right, the constant boing of the trampoline that my son incessantly jumps on, no selena gomez with my daughter singing so loud i can't hear the actual song.  all i can hear is the water dripping on the ground because the gutters are a mess on my place, the woosh of the cars driving by, and just now the rumble of thunder in the sky.  man i love thunder, i wish i could hear it more often.  the constant sounds are peaceful, soothing and hypnotic.

the lull never lasts.  soon i will go get the kids.  they will compete to tell me about champs first, they will argue over the sink in the bathroom, they will jockey to be the first up the stairs.  i will tuck them in and turn to walk away and hear one more kiss, one more hug.  i always give them and they know it.

sometimes it is nice to have a lull, but i wouldn't trade it for the chaos of my kids. 

No comments: