Thursday, January 5, 2012

arcs of hope...



rainbows 

such a cool phenomenon.  i have never understood how they work or why they appear?  as a kid i was told rainbows appear when the sun and the rain are fighting for sky space. today the sun is prancing around the ring with a fist held high in victory.  hooray sun! 

there are many different places you can go to find the meaning of a double rainbow.  honestly i don't really care what it means, but i did find it interesting that when there is a double rainbow, the outside arc is a mirror image of the inside arc.  so it's colors are reversed.  i never knew that.  awesome!!  it is really hard to see in my picture i am not blessed with a Canon EOS 1Ds Mark111, i just have my iPhone camera, but the colors are reversed.

for some reason seeing those rainbows reminded me of my mom.  more specifically that my mom was my age, 35, when she found out she had breast cancer.  i can't fathom how she felt receiving that information.  i have no idea where she found the courage to tell us, my sister and i.  the faith, courage and strength it took to receive, treat and overcome cancer is mind boggling to me.

i look at my kids, they are a little younger than i was when my mom was first diagnosed, and wonder what would i say to them?  i often struggle with, how do i give my children information that is age appropriate and detailed enough to ease their curiosity without raising more questions?  it is tough.

i have never asked my mom, but i wonder how long she kept the information to herself before telling my sis and i?  i remember her telling us.  i don't recall her shedding a tear.  i am not sure i would have the strength to tell my kids something like that and keep my composure.  i get the concept of being strong for others, but i fail miserably at that.  i am an ocean of emotions.  i don't know how long i would keep it to myself?  who i would tell first?  or how i would react?  i really hope i never have to but i am sure the right words would fill the air.

rainbows
miracles
arcs of hope 
a reason to make a wish  
rainbows make me smile 
today they made me thankful for my health 

i love you mom
 i thank God everyday for you
 

No comments: