Wednesday, December 28, 2011

slacker extraordinaire...

we are approaching the end of another year.  although i am not a resolution maker, i did not accomplish any of the things i had said i might want to try.  hmmpf.  maybe this is why my invitation to the slacker extraordinaire club arrived in the mail?   i didn't cook everything out of a particular cookbook, but i did start cooking a whole lot more this past year.  thanks to some incredibly delicious and easy recipes that i found on pinterest.  i never mastered meditating, and to be truthful my attempts weren't consistent or frequent.  i suppose it just wasn't really the time to try. 

i had listed many things; read more, be more spontaneous, drink more water, eat more vegetables, be a better friend, teach my son how to tie his shoes, encourage my kids to grow by slowing down and letting them make mistakes and i liked someones resolution to paint their toes more. how did i do; fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, succeeded, partial fail.  the invitation included my nomination for president.

i have come up with many excuses for not completing, accomplishing, and doing what i had said i wanted.  for instance, drink more water.  if you can count the water that is used to brew coffee then i might have succeeded.  my coffee intake has increased this past year.  there is a simple explanation for this.  i am exhausted!   i can hear the fitness fanatics in my life shouting at me exercise you fool!  i have the time, in the morning before my house turns into a tornado, but i don't have the will power, accountability, or the drive to do it on my own.  sigh.

here is what i am thinking.  this isn't earth shattering.  it isn't even revolutionary or profound.  it just is.  i think the key for me to be able to do more of the things that i desire to do is to be more spontaneous. 

SPONTANEOUS
1: proceeding from natural feeling or native tendency without external constraint
2: arising from a momentary impulse
3: controlled and directed internally : self-acting
compliments of Merriam-Webster

spontaneity is really, really hard for me to do.  i find peace in predictability.  the problem with predictability is that it is static, stagnant, conventional.  my good friend keri says this conventional = boring.  deep sigh.  i am boring.  even bigger sigh.  i don't want to be boring. 

my motto for 2012 is going to be; BE MORE SPONTANEOUS.  just for the record this is not a resolution.  i am not really sure how i will accomplish increased spontaneity.  i might have to remind myself by plastering signs in all my most frequented places.  or maybe i should record myself stating my new motto and play it while i am sleeping?  do subliminal messages really work?  who knows, i've never tried.

for now i am going to hold on to my invitation.  maybe post it to my refrigerator next to the sign that says be more spontaneous flo.  hopefully by this time next year i will get to recycle it instead of filling it out. 

No comments: