Monday, October 17, 2011

i am a looky loo...

do you ever wonder where the car next to you on the freeway is headed?  i do.  i almost always look at the driver of the car next to me and then wonder where are you going?  who are you? what is your story?  does anyone else do this?  maybe i am the only nut job that is that curious about the humans around me?

i am a pretty care free driver.  i tend to pick a lane, crank the tunes, and travel.  i usually give myself plenty of time so i'm not in a hurry.  yet there are those drivers that think they are in a nascar race.  you know the ones...you see them in your rear view mirror weaving in and out of the lanes, traveling much faster than everyone else.  then they pass you.  if you blink you will miss them completely.  i really want to know where these folks are headed.  are they late?  do they always drive this way?  could they really be a race car driver?

i always have music on in my car.  sometimes i sing to the radio.  i listen to 103.7 The Mountain faithfully.  i have a three disc changer, today it has Adele, Eric Hutchison and Selena Gomez.  ok, you can stop laughing at the last one, that is my daughter's cd, although i do know all the words.  i also have my phone with 1022 of my favorite songs.  well maybe they aren't all my favorites, but you know what i mean. 

this afternoon, i was leaving work going to pick up my kiddos from school.  i was waiting to get on the freeway, singing of course.  there was a pick up truck in front of me.  i opened my eyes (yes i close my eyes when i am belting out those high notes) and saw the fella in the pick up truck watching me in his rear view mirror.  when i made eye contact with him he flashed me a pearly white smile, a smile almost as big as mine, this is hard to do.  i of course smiled right back.

well off we go, me and my tunes and mr. pick up truck.  for some reason, i can't get away from my new friend on the freeway.  i stay in my lane, the middle lane, but he is everywhere.  in front of me, behind me, in the fast lane, and the slow lane.  what in the world?  every time he passes he smiles and friendly silly me, i smile back.  wouldn't you know we get off at the same exit, he is directly in front of me.  i thought to myself he is going to think i am following him.  we end up at the same stop light side by side.

oh geez, what am i supposed to do now?  just in case you are wondering, he is a nice looking man.  probably similar in age.  i did notice when he was in the slow lane there wasn't a ring or a "white" line on his ring finger.  oh come on, i am single gal we look for these things.  oh and he seems to be local we did get off at the same exit.  but i am still at what am i supposed to do now?  keep singing?  roll down my window and say hi?  pull out my "homeless sign" with my phone number on it and smash it against my window?  ok i don't really have one of those, but it might be a good idea. 

this whole scenario reminds of a song.  Meantime Girl by Jaron and the Long Road to Love.  the purchase of this cd was a complete impulse buy.  i had no idea what genre of music i was buying, but the fella on the cover was just so cute.  i was hoping there was a poster inside that i could tack to my wall.  it brought me back to my teen magazine days.  turns out this is a country artist, the cd isn't too bad.  i've listened to it enough to know all the words and well he is still cute!

back to my dilemma.  i didn't roll down my window even though his was rolled down.  i didn't hold up my sign this was just an idea.  i kept singing.  i did make eye contact, flashed my over the gum forced smile and waved.  that was the best i could come up with.  i'm not so good on the fly. 

now that you know that i am a looky loo and that i am curious about all the drivers around me, if you see me on the road please wave.  i will have already spotted you.  i will have already come up with my own scenario of what you are up to.  i will most definitely be singing and i will flash you a big ol cheesy grin.  oh and if you know any good tips on how to flirt with a cute fella while driving please pass them on, apparently i need help.

No comments: