Thursday, October 13, 2011

dazzle...

being a word junkie, i am always looking for new words to say.   synonyms for my high frequency words because let's face it even i get tired of hearing myself repeat the same words over and over again.  a writer friend of mine uses post it notes when reading to keep track of interesting new words to use in her own writing.  i love this idea and may have to steal it.  so here we are with my new favorite word....dazzle.

according to dictionary.com dazzle can be used in two ways, but in both versions dazzle is still a verb.

used with object
1. to overpower or dim the vision of by intense light.
2. to impress deeply; astonish with delight
used without object
3. to shine or reflect brilliantly
4. to be overpowered by light
5. to excite admiration by brilliance

okay so now that we know all the ways to use it and all of its definitions i will fill you in on why dazzle is my new favorite word.  it all started with a text message

Beth: so i am taking a 5 week parenting class at church during champs...interested?
Me: yes!!

overall, i think i do a pretty good job of raising my ratchets, but there is always room for improvement.  to be able to sit in a small group and learn some new ideas/strategies and converse with other parents who may be having some similar issues, well this sounds fabulous to me.  so i went to my first class last night.  the name of the book the class is based on is: Give them Grace; Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus.

i am a believer of God.  i do attend church on a somewhat regular basis.  i would call myself a Christian.  but...i don't use scripture in my daily life, i don't read bible stories my kids often, i can't say that i have ever said to them "be good God is watching you."  i read the name of the book and instantly thought, "crap, how in the world am i going to be able to dazzle my kids with the love of Jesus when i never parent in this manner?"  i glanced over at beth with the "what have you gotten me into this time?" look. i don't think she noticed my fear. 

the other thought that went through my head is, "do i want to be that parent?"  even typing the words makes me feel shameful.  i am a person who believes that a relationship with God is personal and doesn't have to be shared to prove that you are faithful.  so how am i going to pull this off without feeling like i am being a person who is pushing my belief on someone else, even my children?  i guess i am going to learn.

after an interesting class i gathered my kiddos and we get in the car.  P instantly turns to me and says, "well, what did you learn?" jokingly i say, "that you are a horrible kid and never listen"  she says, "wow! nice class you are taking mom."  i look at both my kids and say, "watch out your mamma is going to dazzle you."  they both looked at me with very confused looks on their faces, then started giggling.  i love that have a sense of humor and get my sarcasm. 

little do they know i am going to learn how to dazzle them.  it may not be with love of Jesus although i am going to read my book, do my homework and hopefully add some new skills to my parenting repertoire.  i may end up only dazzling them with the fact that i love them with everything i have and shower them in it daily.  that doesn't sound too bad to me.

1 comment:

Ross & Beth said...

Oh so funny...I did notice. But you are tough enough to handle it! Sharing your love for Jesus has nothing to do with proving yourself. Its simply to tell others about this wonderful hope that we have in Christ. He died for us so we don't have to pay the price. With that said, telling our kids that we are going to dazzle them with the love of Christ and that Jesus is watching may sound extreme, but my goal in this crappy
sad world is not to have to shove Jesus love for them down their throats. I am praying that they see it through my parenting and decisions I make in life so when people let them down they will turn to the one thing that cares so much for us that He sent His Son to die to save us. Yes...I could go on forever and probably will have hate mail from this. I adore you Flo and I am proud as punch that we can learn to dazzle together! Xoxo