Wednesday, May 25, 2011

a perfect friday afternoon....

as many of you know i am a reader.  i read on average a book a week.  i have been known to stay up all night because i am so engrossed in what i am reading.  it took me just under a week to read the Twilight series and i read Eclipse in one sitting all 600+ pages.  that was a really long day hunkered down in my chair.  i actually took some tylenol before going to bed that night i was so stiff from sitting in one position all day.  i am reader who needs my environment to be fairly quiet.  i am easily distracted and i never want to miss out on something, so a quiet room works well for me, but i got to do one of my favorite things, read, at one of my favorite places this weekend, the beach.

on friday afternoon i made my way to Deception Pass.  i was meeting matt to go camping for the night.  i got there before he did so i went to west beach.  by this time in the afternoon the sun was hanging low in the sky, the tide was coming in, the beach was fairly quiet in terms of other people.  it was a perfect place to cop a squat, catch the final rays of the day and lose myself in an intriguing story.

although friday was a beautifully warm gorgeous day the temperature was dropping.  lucky for me it is soccer season so the back of my rig looks like i am making a run to the goodwill, but really it is just all the gear one needs to stay warm at the frigid soccer fields.  so i grabbed my blankets, hat, scarf, gloves, a snack, phone, sunglasses, and my book.  i found the perfect patch of sandy beach with a log big enough to rest against and started to assemble my nest. 

first you lay out one blanket on the sand, but leave it big enough to wrap over your legs.  put on my gloves, scarf, hat and jacket, then wrap the other blanket around my waist to cover up my legs.  upon sitting you must wiggle your tush back and forth to create an indention that hugs the rear.  lean against the log, pick up book and begin to lose oneself.

i was in absolute heaven.  the sound of the waves crashing on the shore.  followed by the rocks being dragged on top of one another as the wave returns to the ocean.  a token bird here and there, i would love to say singing, but it was more like squawking.  the other people on the beach were fairly quiet as they walked by.  i took a few pictures to remember how glorious of an afternoon it was. 

although i sat there for a couple of hours the time did not drag, in fact i was so involved in my book i didn't notice that matt had arrived.  he sat next to me on the log and i didn't look up.  this is the sign of a good book. or maybe it is a sign that i can really block out my surroundings and i should give meditating another try.  whatever the sign is, it didn't take me too long to notice that he was there, i smelled him first.  this may sound weird, but whatever cologne he wears is superb and i was sitting down wind from him.

i looked up into his smiling face, he wrapped me up in a huge hug and said, "hi".  i was instantly melting and forgot all about my book.  we sat at the beach for a while in silence, just being and absorbing our surroundings, it was perfection.

No comments: