Friday, January 4, 2013

simplify...

 Simplify Your Life
 
simplify
 
seems easy enough to do
make less complex or complicated; make plainer or easier
this is my word for 2013
 
my word for 2012 was spontaneous.  my life is very scheduled, especially during the work/school week.  besides being scheduled i tend to weigh the pros and cons of things before making a decision.  i was somewhat successful at having a dash of spontaneity throughout 2012.  not all of my spontaneous decisions were good ones, but they did make for some memorable moments.
 
so how does one simplify? 
 i have no clue. 
 
when i hear simplify my mind immediately goes to clearing out the clutter in my environment.  i will admit that i have a lot of "stuff".  most of it means a great deal to me, it is reminders of how full my life is.  i am not really wanting to declutter my surroundings, although i could stand to pitch a few things.  somehow living in a stark minimal environment sounds really depressing.  i am thinking that i want to simplify my behaviors to make room for more of the fulfilling aspects of life.
 
i am going to start by reducing the amount of time suckers i have.  yes i am referring to the ridiculous amount of games and social networking avenues i have on my "making me dumber" smart phone.  it is so easy to get completely consumed with responding, checking, and playing with my phone.  i find myself up late at night taking one more turn, or checking one more time to see if i've missed anything.  in reality i am not missing anything but sleep.
 
thinking my next step unfortunately involves more schedules.  so much for spontaneity.  i want to eat simpler, which means i have to plan a little better.  translation; meal plan, shop, make, eat.  already sounds simpler.  there is a fantastic side effect to meal planning which i will notice (hopefully) in my bank account. 
 
i would like to somehow simplify my relationships.  this ties in directly with social networking.  i have some of the most amazing friendships both virtually and tangibly, but i would like to be more present in my tangible relationships.  a couple of recent scares have made me realize that as i am aging so is everyone else in my life and that our time together isn't guaranteed.  i'm not sure how to go about this but it's on the agenda, be prepared to have more of me in your life.
 
what will you simplify in your life for 2013?

No comments: