Wednesday, August 1, 2012

coffee debacle...



if it doesn't involve something brewed, sex or bacon there is no reason to be up before 8.

wise words, from a hysterically funny friend. 

work day mornings for me are extremely predictable.  i follow a very planned out routine.  this morning did not go as planned.  there is that saying third times a charm i can happily say it rang true for me today.

my alarm goes off at 6am. i am usually up way before then, but i doze in and out of really being awake.  when my alarm actually goes off i hit snooze exactly two times before i get out of bed.  during those 9 minutes my coffee is brewing.  without fail i prepare it the night before so i can wake to the smell and sound of hot coffee.

this morning i laid in my bed listening for the sounds of heaven, but i didn't hear a thing.  a confused and somewhat dazed form of myself lazily plodded to the kitchen.  the pot was empty.  i cannot express the disappointment that washed over me.  apparently i forgot to press the delay brew button.  ON.  this mamma needs some coffee, let's start brewing.

i climbed back in bed and listened to the sounds of heaven filling the carafe.  when the last drip fell, i climbed back out of bed and made my way to the kitchen.  the carafe was not filled with the delicious nectar of the gods it was lightly tinted water.  are you kidding me?  is this some evil trick?  what kind of karma is coming back at me? 

so the reason why the delay was not pressed was because i never finished prepping my coffee the night before.  probably somewhere between cleaning the cat litter, taking out the trash, making dinner and getting two kids ready for soccer i forgot to grind the beans.  after putting away a counter full of clean dishes that had been drying overnight, i could get to my grinder. there is nothing worse than the whirring of the coffee grinder in the morning.  it is such an abrasive, in your face, horrific noise.

empty the tinted water
refill the back of the coffee pot
put the freshly ground beans in the filter
press start
crawl back to bed
wait

at exactly 6:45am the skies opened up and i poured my first cup of heaven.  it was the most captivating sight, watching the rich brown nectar mix and swirl with the creamy vanilla goodness.  i'm pretty sure i floated back to my bed, cozied up in my covers and gingerly sipped the best thing to grace my lips in the morning.  there are definitely better things that can grace one's lips, but for this gal it is currently coffee.

i was able to salvage my morning. according to my friend, i can only expect a sub par day.  i finally had my coffee.  i made bacon.  instead of  sex i came up with the next best thing...mini cinnamon rolls. 

i found the recipe for the mini cinis on iowagirleats.com, she has some great recipes and who doesn't love a girl from iowa?

 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice quote. I wonder what brilliant mind thought that up...

Unknown said...

a seriously charming human...