Wednesday, August 29, 2012

drinking him in...


how does he smell?  this is the first question that shreddie asks me when i tell her about someone new in my life.  shreddie is convinced, and there are actually many studies that support her theory, that scent plays a big role in attraction. 

shreddie always says doesn't matter how handsome he is, if he doesn't smell good it's a no go.  i used to think she was crazy, but deep down i know she is right.  let's face it, would you really want to be with someone who you didn't think smelled good?  yeah, probably not.

shreddie is not talking about the cologne that a man wears.  although, i think cologne is nice as long as it isn't so overpowering that you feel like you need oxygen mask just to get clean air.  we, as humans, have a natural odor.  this is what shreddie is talking about, ones natural odor.

you know in movies, tv shows, or even in a novel when you see (or read about) a woman who is wearing her man's shirt?  typically he is gone, maybe just to work or they have parted ways, whatever the case she is still holding on.  she is wrapping herself in him.  drinking in his scent.  i was thinking it is funny that they only show women doing this, but i suppose most women are with men who are bigger than they are.  seeing your man sausaged in your shirt would be super funny and probably really awkward.

anyway, in between activities with my children (trampoline park, state fair, church) i spent the better part of my weekend with a man.  i haven't said much about him, but i will tell you this.  he makes me smile a little bigger, laugh a little more often and has been a bright spot in my day.  i was definitely bummed that the weekend was over and it was back to the daily grind of work, motherhood and getting ready for the upcoming school year.

he left his shirt at my house.  i found myself being that woman in the movies.  i pulled his shirt over my head, held it up to my nose and drank in his scent.  heavenly.  besides my skivvies, his shirt was all i wore for the remainder of the evening and for a good portion of the next day.  i waited as long as i possibly could before taking a shower and unrobing myself from his scent.  sigh.

i was tempted to wear it every night until i saw him again, but thought better of it.  his scent was slowly fading and i was adding my funk to the shirt.  just for the record, my funk isn't awful, but i'm sleeping.  if you noticed the shirt is a long sleeve thermal and it is summer.  i will let you do the math.  i ended up washing it.  when i pulled it out of the dryer i crumpled it up to my nose and took a big whiff, all i could smell was the dryer sheet.  dryer sheets aren't bad, in fact i like that smell a ton, but dryer sheets definitely are not as heavenly as him.

No comments: