Sunday, February 12, 2012

breaking news...


how many of you scan the tabloids at the check out?  guilty.  i rarely get past the cover, unless i am at walmart which always seems to take years to check out.  anyone ever notice that?  besides i usually have my ratchets with me and i am desperately trying to corral them to our lane without them touching the gum, candy bars, and cheap toys that someone cleverly planted at the register knowing you will probably get your children anything just to get them to be quiet and behave. 

at a glance of the cover you can see which celebrity is a cheater?  what famous couple is getting divorced?  what unlikely couple is getting hitched?  who has cellulite on their thighs?  why this is news i am not sure, i do and nobody is plastering my picture on the cover of a magazine.  who has an addiction that nobody knew about?  we love a scandal. 

as long as it isn't your life, right? could you imagine if your town had their own version of the who's, what's, where's happening right in your backyard?  not the regular news people, but a hometown tabloid.  would you be more or less interested in your average joe and his personal scandal?  if your scandal made the cover would you move to a new town?  or would you hold your head high and say when you're perfect then you can judge me? 

i obviously choose to share my scandal.  i actively post my life on facebook and write this silly blog sharing random tidbits about me.  i challenge you to judge me.  put me on the cover, i will help with the title.  make a billboard of my cellulite thighs, i will even pose for the picture.  you want a two page expose?  i will gladly give you the material, you can even take it out of context.

i wonder if we were all more open about our failures and poor choices would those occurrences seem less scandalous?  or would we become so immune to the shock that we wouldn't bat an eye?  would we be more likely to look down on that person for being such an idiot?  or would we commend them for owning up to their mistakes and being real?

clearly i don't know the answers.  i share what i am comfortable with and only because it feels right to me.  i recognize that there will always be backlash, but i feel it is better than parading around as someone i am not.  i've decided that on this journey through life i am not going to bury my head and be afraid of the repercussions for my choices. 

No comments: