Monday, February 9, 2015

underoos and granny panties...



last week on the radio, i heard a snippet from TLC's: My Strange Addiction about a young man (31) who is addicted to dating older women.  at first i didn't think much of it, there are tons of people who prefer to date older people, but as i kept listening my face started to scrunch up.  i guess this young man won't date anyone under 60. he is quoted as saying,

 'I love everything about older women. I love the smell, I love the feel, I love the mentality,' he says enthusiastically in a preview of the show. 

uh, okay.  the segment was over and i carried on with my day.  no harm, no foul.

over the weekend i found myself sitting in a bar tapping away on my computer.  by the way, when did i become the nerdy girl sitting in the corner of bar on her computer with readers perched on her nose?  will have to ponder that another time.  anyway, the bar was pretty empty some fellas sitting at the bar, a larger group of fellas by the dart boards, some couples sitting at tables, an older lady sitting alone at the other end of the bar, and myself in the corner.

the door opened and a young man, probably in his mid to late twenties came through. despite the ring through his nose, gauges in his ears, and overall unkept look, you could tell he was pretty cute.  he walked straight to the restroom and scanned the room when he came out.

sometimes i play this little game with myself about where people will sit.  silly i know, but i love watching people.  since, i already knew the layout of the space and who was sitting where, i figured he would sit by the other single fellas at the bar.  my thinking was that he would have something to talk with those fellas about: football, cars, or maybe work opportunities.  this young man didn't do that, he took me completely by surprise.  he sat right next to the older lady sitting solo at the end of the bar.

i've never met the lady, but the bar staff knew her on a first name basis, so i'm guessing she is a regular.  she was definitely older; white hair, wrinkles, looked like she could be a member of the red hat society, but she wasn't wearing the hat. she is your quintessential grandmotherly woman.

so here is this twenty something guy who sits right next to the bar matriarch and starts chatting her up.  they shook hands as the exchanged pleasantries.  i was definitely intrigued and couldn't take my eyes off the show.  he was very intimate, in a stranger chatting up a stranger kind of way, with her; leaning in close, touching her arm, making some serious eye contact, etc.

it was all very fascinating and i instantly wondered if he had heard the radio broadcast that i had.  or maybe he watched the actual program.  or maybe he is just a friendly guy who finds the older crowd easier to interact with.  whatever his reasons, he sat with that woman until she left before turning his attention to another table with ladies older than me.

i lost interest in watching him after that, but i do wonder what makes this young man choose to sit with the older ladies of the room?  is this a trend with younger men that i wasn't really aware of?  i took a stab at dating a significantly younger man, of consenting age, but it wasn't for me and i've been on a date with a man who was much older than i and that wasn't really my thing either.  clearly the laws of attraction baffle me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude probably was trying to score some free drinks and the chance and slaying a dragon.

Anyone can bag a cougar. Come talk to me after you've got a sabretooth on the mantle.

Unknown said...

Dude probably was trying to score some free drinks and the chance and slaying a dragon.

Anyone can bag a cougar. Come talk to me after you've got a sabretooth on the mantle.