Thursday, February 26, 2015

my anti valentines day...

phew, i made it through another valentine's day weekend.  it started off great.  friday i was with my bestie, bethy, helping her move in to her new place and my daughter wanted an extra mom day so she spent the night.  my beauty and i had cinnamon rolls in the morning then she went off to her dad's house and i ran some much needed errands before stopping in at the blazing onion to get a little home work done.

instead of watching a ridiculously romantic movie on the night of love, i opted for annabelle, a creepy doll movie.  i really don't like dolls and happen to have a scary doll in my attic.  she was there before i moved in and i have never moved her.  the last time i looked she was face down in the southwest corner of my attic. the entrance to my attic is a small door at the top of my stairs.  i barricaded it prior to turning on the movie just in case my doll decided to come watch.

whenever i share that i have a scary doll in my attic, i get one of two questions:

1. do you want me to remove it?
2. why haven't you gotten rid of it?

have you people never watched a scary doll movie?  the first rule about scary dolls is to never, under any circumstances, touch them.  the moment you make contact with them they come to life and start their evil ways.  if for some reason my scary doll was removed from my attic, she would retaliate in some way.  i'm really not needing that kind of excitement in my life right now.

there are nights when i lie in my bed, under the covers, and listen to the sounds of my house. sometimes i hear things that make me stop and tilt my right ear, which seems to hear better, towards the sound.  i listen to the rustling for a few minutes before i hear the familiar double thud of my cat coming down the stairs.  but for a small second, i think she (i haven't named her) is coming to get me.

at least once a month i wake up with inexplicable bruises on my leg.  i sleep alone, on the left side of a queen size bed, like i'm in a coffin.  i sleep on my back with my arms either at my sides or folded across my torso.  my left leg, the one closest to the edge of the bed is always the one with bruises.  i have no idea what happens while i'm sleeping, but it's probably her, the scary doll in my attic.  my kids tell me i should put up a camera, similar to paranormal activity, but i don't really want to know.

anyway, back to the movie.  to the untrained eye, it probably looked like i was going to have a romantic evening at home, because i settled into my couch with chocolate covered gummi bears, a bottle of red wine, and my favorite fluffy white blanket.  i took a deep breath and pressed play. the beginning wasn't terrible, the music was creepy but i only jumped a few times.  however, it wasn't long before i had the hood of my sweatshirt on and pulled almost closed in front of my eyes. somehow i managed to sit through the entire movie.

i'm not sure that this is going to be a new tradition of mine.  in the past six months or so i have been stepping outside of my comfort zone, but i would much rather watch a scary movie nestled into the side of a burly man.  this way i can shield my face from the scary stuff and maybe get a little squeeze of reassurance.  *wink* 

No comments: