Monday, August 8, 2011

where's my noose?

dramatic title?  absolutely.  why?  i am seriously at the end of my rope with my daughter.  who is the noose for?  not really sure yet, but i am not sure how much more of her i can take.  just a recap on my daughter.  she was born a week late, two days before Christmas, with a head full of curly dark hair.  she is precocious, has a vocabulary beyond her years, and is already exhibiting the will of a teenager.  the kicker, she is 9. 

the past two years have been really difficult.  her world turned upside down and she is pissed.  i can understand a transition period, but two years?  give me a break.  seeing as how i have been through this same scenario as a young person, i am trying to be sympathetic to her, but i don't ever recall being such a handful.  throughout every life changing event in my youth i knew for positive that my parents loved me and that they were my guides.

so i am faced with this sassafras nine year old little girl.  she talks back, she always tries to have the last word, she argues for the sake of arguing, she hates being told no, she doesn't take direction, she believes at the ripe old age of nine that she is far wiser than i and should be able to make her own decisions about everything.  all of this and she hasn't even started her period yet.  Lord help me when all those hormones kick in.

all i know is to be consistent.  i call her out on her behavior every time it rears its ugly head and give her the chance to make a better choice.  every night i go to bed praying for the strength and wisdom to guide her in a positive direction.  every day i wake up with a fresh outlook.  unfortunately i think we have fallen into a rut of disagreement.  she is trying desperately to assert herself and make her voice heard and although i don't want to squash that determination in her, there is a way to express yourself without being hurtful and disrespectful to others. 

No comments: