Thursday, February 7, 2013

an almost "rachel trifle" moment...




i am a huge fan of the show friends.  i never missed an episode.  if i had tv i would watch reruns today.  my sister often sends me texts with a line from an episode that she thinks i will remember and i never do, i simply don't retain television trivia.  this particular episode is one of my favorites (i'm also a huge fan of the PIVOT episode). 

at 7:15 this morning, much like any other morning, the breakfast rush starts.  my son is always the first for breakfast, he tells me what he would like when i wake him up.  lately he has been on a waffle with butter, peanut butter and syrup, cut into squares kick.  i make pancakes and french toast from scratch but i am an eggo user when it comes to waffles.  open the freezer grab the last of the waffles and pop them in the toaster.  do a 180 and pull out a saute pan.

huh?

well, on thursdays we have souper thursday at work and it is my turn to make the soup.  i have some prep work to do.  while my oil and butter are heating up in the saute pan i utilize my wicked knife skills and make quick work of chopping an onion.  as i sweep the onion from my cutting board into the pan and give it a swirl i hear the pop of the toaster.  do a 180 and i'm back at the toaster.

just as i get done syruping and cutting up my sons waffles, my daughter comes sauntering into the kitchen, "can i have oatmeal?"  "yep" as i am delivering a delicious mound of peanut butter and syrup heaven to the table.  a mug of water goes into the microwave and i've got two minutes before it's time to mix the water with the oatmeal. 

two minutes is a super long time in the kitchen.  i pulled my pork roast that was getting yummy in the crock pot overnight and let it rest for a few minutes.  dump the contents of p's oatmeal into a bowl.  season my onions with salt and pepper and give them a quick stir.  time to shred pork.  my onions are golden and starting to caramelize, the pork is shredded and i've got about 30 seconds left on the clock.  dump the onions and pork into the crock pot, add beans, broth and some spices, replace the lid and turn it on high. "mom, can i have some milk?"  the timer on the microwave goes off.  i have two sets of eyes looking at me.  p gets her oatmeal, ash gets his milk and it's 7:30.

my kitchen smells like a spicy mexican restaurant and a bakery.  it's kind of a lot to stomach at 7:15 in the morning.   the competing smells is certifiably nauseating.  with only one cup of coffee on board i am lucky i didn't put peanut butter in my soup or add sauteed onions to the oatmeal.  yep, here is the connection with rachel's trifle a bit of a stretch but that is just how my brain works. 

i would love to say that i came up with the recipe for souper thursday on my own, but who am i kidding i am no chef.  thankfully there are some extremely talented humans out there who do all the leg work for me.  this was a two part recipe.  first you must make the shredded pork.  i did mine in the crock pot overnight.  i seriously love that i can be sleeping and cooking at the same time.  step two is assemble the pork chili verde and let it work its magic. 

 
 
my choice of toppings; cilantro, lime, queso, and green onions. 

2 comments:

JazzNJava said...

I've sooooo been wanting to make this Pork Chili Verde recipe. Will you let me know how it goes?

Unknown said...

JazzNJava....the picture at the bottom of this post is my actual bowl of chili. it was super easy and very easy. i used the shredded pork recipe because it had a lot of the same flavorings as the chili. definitely give it a go.