Monday, June 11, 2012

eerily quiet...

as a lot of you know there was a fatality hit and run accident on saturday night in my town. it happened to be directly outside my house. seriously, right outside my front window. i was fast asleep after a fun day with the kids and our friends, when a noise woke me up.

the noise came from the street, which is outside my bedroom window. my driveway is at least two car lengths deep, but the road is really busy and there is always road noise. it is my white noise. i remember hearing this noise and thought wow that was loud, but i quickly drifted back into a light sleep. that is until my room was lit up. it was like i had a christmas tree next to my bed.

i laid in my bed just listening. i don't remember hearing sirens, but i am sure there must have been some. i could hear voices that seemed to come and go. i remember it being very quiet. then i heard my neighbors door open and close. i decided i should get up and investigate.

from my front window all i could see was lights. a magnificent light show from police vehicles, fire engines and aid cars. the crazy swirling of lights cast a strange pattern on its surroundings. it was hard to decipher what any of the shapes i was seeing were. i could see emergency vehicles, a bicycle, a shoe and a heap of what looked like clothes in the road, there was a man in plaid pajama pants walking in the street and my neighbor in our driveway.

i pulled a blanket around my shoulders and stepped outside. despite all the commotion it was eerily quiet. there was no noise coming from anywhere. no road noise, traffic wasn't passing. no sirens, the vehicles were already on the scene. the emergency personnel didn't seem to be speaking to each other. it was just quiet except for the hum of the engines of the emergency vehicles.

i walked over to my neighbor who explained what i was looking at. i quickly peeked over my shoulder up to the second story of my house to see if my kids were peering out the window. i can honestly say i am thankful that they slept through the whole thing. it was a pretty grisly scene. at one point, when i realized that heap of clothes was not just clothes but a human, i sat down. i felt like i was going vomit. i stayed outside until the medics the left. somehow sleep found me.

i am left with a street painted like a rainbow, an image of a broken human and silence. the paint lines will disappear long before the image and the silence.


here is the story from our local newspaper.

1 killed, 2 hurt in Marysville hit-and-run crash | HeraldNet.com - Local news

No comments: