Thursday, June 23, 2011

will you be my +1?

recently i opened my mail box and inside was a thick, cream with an iridescent sheen envelope penned with an elegant script.  there are only a few things that come in the mail that make me smile; unsolicited cards, a refund check and my netflix movies.  this beautifully crafted piece of stationery definitely brought a smile to my face. 

a wedding invitation.  for a single girl this can be a scary envelope to see in your mail box. the response card seems to jump out of the invitation laughing in your face.  the number attending with a blank after taunts you who are you going to ask??  i am not sure if every single girl, or guy for that matter, contemplates this line the way i do.

six months ago receiving this invitation would've totally stressed me out.  i am not a girl who is just going to bring a random person as my guest to a wedding.  to me bringing a "date", really it is more introducing a new man to my circle of friends, is a big deal.  i have yet to introduce a man to my friends or family, but for the first time in my 2 years of being a single gal i am excited and more than ready to show off and share the man in my life.

even though i am ready, i hesitated asking matt about being my +1.  this seems silly now, but i waited a whole week before asking.  i came up with all different ways of asking and imagined all the different responses he would give me.  why the hesitation you ask?  well, it is simple...fear.  fear that i think our relationship is more than what it is and fear of rejection.  i didn't want him to say ummm sorry heather, but no.

after a week of playing out every scenario i asked him standing in line at Carl's Jr. burgers.  i popped the question after we had talked about me attending another event solo.  of course i will go. when is it?  phew that was exactly the answer i wanted to hear.  funny how easy that was.  this spurred a whole flurry of i have this coming up do you want to go questions, my answer was i want to do everything with you. 

that afternoon, sitting in a booth at a fast food chain restaurant, our relationship changed.  i wasn't expecting it and i certainly didn't imagine that would be the venue, but it didn't matter.  our connection and commitment to each other intensified.  the whole restaurant seemed to disappear and it was just the two of us sharing a moment.  then our moment ended and it was time to go.  it was hard to watch him drive away.

for the first time in a long time i am saying let me check with matt.  i am loving it.  there are still many unknowns and logistics to figure out, but those variables aren't as daunting with my +1 by my side.

No comments: