Wednesday, June 8, 2011

the one?

how do you know when you have found the one?

it is easy to know when you haven't.  i have met some very nice fellas but knew quickly that they weren't the one.  in a previous post i had recapped some of my more memorable dates.  as you found out i have shared meals and drinks with very nice fellas but there was always something missing from the equation.  this is not to say that there was anything wrong with the fella just that what he had to offer and who he was didn't quite jive with what i have and who i am. 


there have been two fellas that have stirred me at the core.  that have spoken to me without words and touched my heart in a profound way.  the first was J.  i must say that i fell for him hard.  the way he strung his words together through poetry and lyrics grabbed my attention in a way that nothing has before.  his reality and my reality are worlds apart from each other.  there isn't enough time on this earth for our worlds to meet in a permanent way.  coming to grips with that was difficult but necessary.  in the end i am able to be a friend to J and remember him fondly. 

then there is matt.  my journey with matt has been up and down, left and right but brutally honest.  he is the first man i feel completely comfortable explaining exactly how something makes me feel and know that he isn't going to think i am being ridiculous, unreasonable or a complete idiot.  i have never felt that type of security in a relationship before.  it is refreshing and welcoming.

i think one of the things that i love most about him is he pays attention. in the few months that we have shared together he knows more about me than my ex of 15 years ever did.  i find that astounding and flattering.  matt knows all my favorite things and makes a point to include them.  for instance when we went camping, he brought all my favorite snack foods.  the table was a smorgasbord of heather's favorites.  those little things warm my heart and show me that who i am is important to him. 

he is always learning more about me.  on our hike over this past weekend he thought it was funny that i wanted my little day pack with the water pouch and a snack.  i get hungry and thirsty.  we had talked the day before about going on an overnight hike/camp trip.  i don't have a pack for that kind of thing so we are going to go shopping for one, but he said he wouldn't have thought about making sure there was a hydration system because it isn't something that he uses, wants or needs. 

i am quickly falling for this sweet, thoughtful and caring man.  is he the one?  he very well could be.  on our very first date back in March, which he remembers the exact date whereas i had to put it in my phone so i could remember, i thought to myself you have found a keeper heather.  hang on this is going to be an exciting adventure.  i find myself daydreaming about a more permanent life with him.  i like where things are going with matt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am very happy for you Heather. I hope for you all the happiness that you deserve in life!