Tuesday, December 25, 2012

a little grinch-y...

midday christmas.  my living room is a graveyard of paper and boxes.  the most treasured items have taken residence in a "safe" place until they can be properly tended to.  my phone is playing music from it's new docking station, my ears are blinged out with their beautiful new earrings and my neck is warm thanks to a new cashmere scarf.  there is only one other beating heart here.  the most loyal feline, until of course his kids come home and then i'm chopped liver.

surrounded by many but standing alone.  do you ever feel like your circle of friends is 20+ deep, but you are on the sidelines watching?  this is not a sob story, pity party post, i'm just noticing something that is bugging me. 

i have 600+ friends on facebook, 401 followers on blip.me, i can't figure twitter out but i have one.  i am on google+ and have several friends there.  same story on other social networking sites.  today my phone blew up with merry christmas texts.  what's my point?  my point is i am sitting in my home without another heartbeat present.  just mine.

this is insane to me. 

don't get me wrong, i love all the texts, the wall posts, the private emails, even the phone calls (sorry i didn't answer), but i would much rather be in a room with all 1000+ friends.  it would warm my heart to be able to give every single one of you a hug and wish you a happy holiday season in person.

do you think it is weird that we live in a world where we seem to build an army of friends?  creating our very own hand picked virtual family.  we stake claim to a plethora of friends that can't give us a hug when we are crying.  or bring over a cup of coffee and shoot the shit.  or drag our "feeling sorry for ourself" ass out of the house.  instead we fill our text messages with goofy emotion filled pictures, virtually share food that we can't actually eat or even smell, and tell each other how we would comfort them if we lived closer or even actually knew each other. 

is this insane to anyone else? 

as i climb off my soap box for the day, i want to thank you for all the wonderful well wishes today.  i really did love all of them.  i wish i could've reciprocated in person. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for spending some of your holiday with us :)

Unknown said...

welcome, thanks for having me.