Friday, September 5, 2014

mishaps of river floating...

my annual girls weekend brings me to leavenworth in a big beautiful house right on the river. don't ask me what part of leavenworth, because i've never paid that much attention, i'm just happy to be there.  it's a weekend full of laughter, copious amounts of food, some adult beverages, sunbathing, and a little mischief.  this weekend i had one goal: even out my tan.

about a month before the trip, i was out on my friend's boat for the evening.  we were just shooting the breeze when he said, "heather, you have a tan line that runs right down the side of your body."  huh?  what is he talking about, so i look.  sure enough, since i generally sit out in the sun with my backside to a lawn chair, only the front of me is tan.  instantly that friends episode where ross goes to the spray tan place pops in my head, "i'm an 8!!" at this point i have a fairly nice tan on my front side but the back is the same pasty white winter shade.  i tell him that i hate laying out in the sun on my stomach because i feel like i am suffocating. not sure if anyone else feels this way, but it seriously keeps me from tanning my backside.


i figure while i have two full days of sun soaking to do, i can plop onto on inner tube and hopefully even things up a bit.  so there i am, floating the river, tethered to shore so i don't get lost, and soaking up the rays. it was pretty peaceful and i didn't feel like i was suffocating.

if you look closely you can see the shore on the other side of the river.  it wasn't a really wide river, but wide enough that you should be able to float without chance of injury.  yes, there is a story coming.

day two of floating in the river, evening out my tan, and we have visitors.  a small group of fishermen casting their lines into the river.  the swirls of water behind me are apparently a good place to cast your hook.  so i'm floating with my back end towards the other shore, my friend ana is floating next to me and we are cackling about something, when all of a sudden my left arm is hit.

it felt like a rock had hit my arm.  i yelped, "ouch" and started looking around.  about the same time ana noticed that she had a fishing hook lying across her chest.  it was then i realized what hit my arm was the weight on the line to sail the hook through the air.

i look behind me at the yahoo that is trying to "catch" us and he is reeling like mad. ana starts yelling at him to "wait, wait!"  i don't know if he realized he has hooked ana, but it takes several attempts to get him to stop reeling in his line.  ana successfully unhooks herself and tosses his line far away from us.  she survived without injury, i on the other hand suffered a lump and bruise from the weight.

you would think that we would hear a "sorry about that" from the other side of the shore, but no. those darn fishermen said nothing.  in fact they just kept casting right where we were floating.  our fishermen friends were there most of the day. unfortunately for them, they never caught a thing.  all that work for nothing.

just for your viewing pleasure, here is that clip of ross and the spray tan.  i love this episode!


No comments: