Thursday, September 18, 2014

almost race day...

so i'm two weeks out from my first half marathon.  i have to admit that i am far from ready for this darn race.  when i signed up i was super excited, very motivated, and running.  you kind of need all three things to be successful at this organized race thing.  so let me tell you what's been going on.

weather: i was running into a problem with the heat.  i'm not a good heat person. even just sitting in the sun to enjoy a dining experience is tough for me when it is hot. in fact just the other night i was out to dinner with a friend and i was sweating balls.  i looked like i had gone swimming, my dress was dripping, i had sweat running from my neck to my feet, and i wasn't exerting any energy at all. so, i can't run in the heat, i probably would pass out from heat exhaustion.  to combat the heat, i switched to running in the mornings.  running in the mornings sucks.  doing an activity before i have my coffee is one of the dumbest things i've ever heard of, but i was doing it.  this brings me to the next issue...

time:  so i'm a pansy and can't hack the heat leaving me with the option of running in the cool morning.  daylight hours started to impact the mornings.  i was having to wait for it to be light enough outside which left me with not enough time to complete the distance needed before i had to get ready for work.  naturally if it is taking longer in the morning to brighten up, it is getting darker in the evening sooner, which rules out evening running.  i'm not the girl who is comfortable to run, by myself, when it is getting dark. my self defense ninja type skills aren't quite up to par.

injury:  somehow i injured my neck during a fitful night's sleep.  i sleep alone, sometimes with a cat, but generally alone, so i'm not sure what i was doing, but i woke up unable to turn my neck from side to side or look up or down.  that took place 2 1/2 weeks ago and i'm still stiff in the neck.  there was no way i could possibly run during that time.  it took everything i had to make it through the day without overdoing it.

all of these factors, weather, time and injury have left me without enough time to be prepared how i would like to be for race day.  bummer.

i'm still going.  i figure the race is 13.1 miles, i will run a mile, take a break at the mile marker, catch my breath, then run the next mile.  i will do this 13 times until i cross that finish line.  this is not how i envisioned running my first half, but it's going to have to do.

on a side note, i'm going to need a treadmill.  anyone willing to part with their dusty clothes rack?

No comments: