Friday, June 7, 2013

your voice...

today i heard your voice.

the last time i heard your voice it was soft and tender with an undertone of "i'm sorry".  i didn't know that when we last spoke it was going to be the last time.  my memory of that conversation is fresh and heavy this evening.  the undertone seems to have taken center stage as i replay that conversation more so than it did at the time it was actually spoken.

today i heard your voice. 

i was cleaning up my voicemail because i got a message that said my mail box was full.  for those who know me well you may chuckle a bit at this.  i am horrible about answering my phone when it rings and i'm even worse at returning phone calls.  to have a full mail box didn't surprise me, but the chore of cleaning up the messages was daunting.

today i heard your voice.
 
in a voicemail, about nothing significant, there was your voice.  the familiar tone and cadence filled the space around me.  it was just as i remembered it.  tears crested the brim of my lids while i listened to you and for a moment i was back in that day.  i couldn't bring myself to delete the message.  at this point it is the only thing i have.
 
today i heard your voice through the silence.



No comments: