Monday, April 22, 2013

magically manifest...

how many times have you heard if you want to find someone who is a good match, just do the things you love and they will appear?  i have heard this countless times.  it seems that men, women and children all know this, even i know this.  a male friend of mine reminded me of this in a recent conversation, "heather, just be you and do the things that make you happy, he will show up."  since this is fresh on my mind i thought it might be fun and possibly a little funny to see what it is i love to do and figure out what type of man might magically manifest.

1.  books.  i love to read.  reading is not a social activity.  reading is a very solitary activity.  i have spent countless hours in bookstores perusing books, but i've never seen anyone of interest in a bookstore.  i belong to a book club, but it is comprised of my mammas.  i belong to a book review type site; you share the books you read, love, want to read and others can discuss the books with you.  that hasn't proved to be fruitful either.  so reading is out. 

2.  cook.  my happy place is my kitchen.  hmmm...there are no strange men popping up in my kitchen.  okay so we broaden the scope, i have to shop for the groceries to prepare in my kitchen.  everybody buys food at the store right?  i feel like i am at the grocery store every day.  haven't met anyone there.  in the summer i frequent the farmer markets around, you seriously can't beat all the fresh goodness, but i've never met anyone there either. 

3.  being with my kids.  i am a parent who actually really enjoys hanging out with my kids.  they open my eyes to things that only kids notice.  they make me laugh.  they drive me bananas.  the irritate the crap out of me.  i am constantly and consistently becoming a better human by the influence of my kids.  it would take a very brave and secure man to approach a woman who is out and about with her kids.  it has NEVER happened to me and i will tell you we are out a lot. 

4.  all things yarn.  i taught myself how to crochet a couple years back and i have been doing it ever since, trying to perfect the art of crocheting.  i have tried knitting, my mom was trying to teach me.  i will have to keep trying, but so far my skill level is nil.  for some reason my hands do not cooperate with each other.  i have latch hooked a rug, i can needlepoint and cross stitch.  this is yet again another solitary activity.  i tend to "yarn" in the evening, it keeps my hands busy and ensures that i'm not packing my face with some addictive snack.  i have heard of  "yarn" groups, i've never belonged to one, but i don't imagine they are packed with eligible single men? 

as you can tell the things i like aren't social activities.  this isn't to say i haven't stepped outside of my comfort zone.  i do a whole lot of things that don't include reading, cooking, yarn or my kids.  i am often getting out into my immediate community and neighboring cities exploring.  it is not necessarily that i am on the prowl, i just really love new things; restaurants, roads, music, beaches, etc.  how else are you going to discover the new if you don't get out there? 

so let's see does anyone know of a man who loves to read and will introduce me to new reads, will crack open a beer or bottle of wine and eat the food i prepare, can teach me how to knit and loves hanging with kids?  if you do, please send him my way.  *wink*