Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Friendship

true friends are hard to come by.  i am honored to have true friends.  Dinah Mulock Craik (1826-2887) wrote the best description of friendship: Friendship is the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feelings safe with a person having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring all right out just as they are, chaff and grain together, certain that a faithful friendly hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping and, with a breath of comfort, blow the rest away.  i am not sure how i would make it day to day without my friends, correction my true friends.  being a friend is hard work, you have to remember their schedules, important events in their life (birthdays/anniversaries) if they are single who the current flavor is, if they are married their spouse's name and up to date info (job, birthday, likes).  you should know your friends favorite color, what they like to do in their spare time, what they order at starbuck's.  it is exhausting to be a friend.  sometimes i think that i need a dayplanner just to keep it all straight, maybe they make an app for your iphone that does it for you, if not that is a really good idea.  anyway, it is hard to be a friend.  i am not a good friend.  i try to be a good friend, but i get wrapped up in my own bullshit to be a good friend.  however i am a true friend.  to those in my life who really know me, who have been with me through the good times and bad, they know that i would drop anything to help them out, i would give anything i have, just don't ask me for money i have none, but i would you seriously do anything for them.
tonight i was blessed with some of my very best true friends.  one of my oldest and dearest friends sent me a text tonight, completely out of the blue "how are you pretty lady?"  i have known her since i was in 6th grade, we called ourselves skeeter and scooter.  i can't remember who is who now, but it doesn't matter.  we talk when we can, we see each other when we can, but it is never awkward or uncomfortable. 
i also got a text from my "bbf" my best best friend.  she lives down the street, our girls are best friends, and i seriously couldn't live without her.  i am in the midst of a "guy crisis" oh yeah, forgot to tell y'all i am a single gal, but that is another story.  anyway, i asked her, "do you think he will call me again?"  her response put me into tears so i need to share, "listen - i don't know if he will call.  but i do know that you are one of the most wonderful people i know, and if he doesn't, he simply is not good enough for you.  personally, i do think he will call, but you also want someone who has his crap together.  so, let him get it together and make himself worthy of your love.  hold your head high and just wait it out for a while.  i know not easy...but you have come through way worse than this."  she is definitely my reality check in life.
i also got my girl time with my "steady date" we had a late lunch/early dinner, not sure what you would call it but i call it supper.  we are in a similar place in life; divorced, kids, living in shit holes, and trying to make the best of every day.  lately she has kept me sane.  thanks miss r.
so friendship...friends are easy to come by, good friends are even easy to come by, those true friends  who accept that you are not always a good friend, that love you for all your fantastic qualities and the horrible qualities that they are embarassed by..those are the friends that are really hard to come by and if you have them you should cherish them.  i am truly thankful for all of my friends...casual friends, good friends, old friends, new friends, girl friends and guy friends and my true friends. 

3 comments:

Ross & Beth said...

I love it....the most perfect ever!! Makes me laugh which is what i need...see! you are so much bigger than the things you are going through!! I love you!! and i feel honored to be the first ever to comment!!!

Brett Nordquist said...

Very nice job. I enjoyed reading it and learning something about you. I can relate a bit to what you're going through although I didn't have kids at the time and I've been wondering when the right time is to tell them about my life before that dark hole in my life. I hope you continue writing, and hope I fall into one of those friend categories you listed.

Kristin said...

Oh Flo... that is so true! I loved it. As I look through my tears I have one thing to say. That Beth is a wise lady...what she said is so true. Believe in yourself! By the way you keep me sane too!