Monday, March 28, 2016

everyone i know is a liar...

everyone i know is a liar.  liar in the best way imaginable, but liars nonetheless. i am not sure how they managed to keep their loose lips sealed shut, but somehow they did and it was the best surprise ever.  the master minds behind this extravagant web of lies would be my ever so clever stepmom, sam, and my two really good friends bethy and heath.  between the three of them, they managed to create, coordinate, and pull off one of the greatest surprises.  before i get to the actual event, i should tell you how they got me there, because it is kinda comical.

it all started with a text on monday, march 21st from sam, "your dad and i are going to sound to summit brewery for dinner and beer, do you want to join us?" first off it was a bit odd that my stepmom would invite me to dinner, usually those invites came from my dad.  i was thinking how nice, i would love to join them.  i don't get a whole lot of one on one time with my parents, so dinner and a beer sounded awesome.  i had one small problem.  i had a tentative date planned for saturday.  so i text back, "i love this idea, thank you so much for the invite.  i have tentative plans (a date) for saturday, i will know later in the week for sure."  sam must've been sweating balls, but she replied, "okay let me know."

wednesday, march 23rd rolls around and i finally know my plans for the weekend. so i text sam, "i for sure have a date on saturday, but what time are you and dad going to the brewery?"  in my head i was thinking maybe i can fit everything in (last soccer game for ash, date in the afternoon, dinner with dad and sam).  sam said, "6:30.  why don't you invite your date?"  i was like, wth?  i just met this guy, we've been on two dates and she thinks i should bring him to meet the folks?! she must be losing her mind!  i tell sam i will ask and let her know.  again sam must've been sweating balls.

thursday, march 24th today is the day i have to ask.  mr. saturday date and i are walking into the restaurant to grab a bite to eat and i say, "i have to ask you something..." i know that phrase, just like we need to talk are some of the worst phrases known to mankind to in the relationship world, but i was running out of time to map out my saturday.  so here's this man i've been out with twice (on the third date) and i casually say, "my dad and stepmom have invited us to join them on saturday for dinner and a beer at a brewery in snohomish.  do you want to go?"  i was holding my breath waiting for an answer.  i figured it could go one of two ways, "yeah sure" or "are you nuts, we just met and you want me to meet your parents?!"  mr. saturday date, looked at me for a minute (felt like 30 minutes) and said, "sure let's do it."  i text sam to say we were in for saturday.  i can only imagine the wave of relief that washed over her.

friday, march 25th i'm on my 5am walk with bethy telling her all about my weird plans for saturday. she asked me what i was going to do between the time of ash's game and meeting up with dad and sam and i tell her i don't really know, maybe go see the tulips.  beth to her credit didn't panic at all, but i learned later that i had just put another monkey wrench into the master plan.  beth could think of two scenarios that would ruin the surprise; we would either show up hours early and just hang out because there wasn't anything else to do or we would go to the tulips have such a good time and not make it to the brewery at all.  as you can see i'm a difficult gal to surprise.

saturday, march 26th, better known as bring the man you've only known a week to dinner with the folks day, has finally arrived.  i meet up with him at 3ish, he jumped in my car and we take off on an adventure.  oh i forgot to mention this, he is fairly new to the area, so i decided to drive because it is just easier.  anyway, i didn't really know where i wanted to go, but i knew the tulips in skagit valley were just starting to open.  it is pretty spectacular to see acres and acres of blooming flowers, even for a dude, so off we went.  the tulips weren't quite open enough to spend any considerable amount of time there so we decided to get a beer.

here's a life lesson that i will now live by 
use the bathroom when it is available.  

it is time to leave, we get back in my rig and start the 32 mile drive back.  i still needed to change my clothes and get to the brewery on time, it was going to be tight, but i thought we could get there no problem.  25 miles in and that sensation came over me.  you know that sensation that says, "get to a bathroom now!"  i was at capacity and desperately needed a restroom, but we had just passed the rest stop and i wasn't going to make it to my house.  i started squirming all over in my seat.  in case you are wondering it is really, really hard to drive when you feel like you are going to wet yourself.  i looked over at my date (remember this is the fourth time i've been in the same space as this person) and i say, "just so you know, i might pee right here in the car."  it is a good thing eyes are secured inyour head, because his would've popped out if they weren't.  he had a look of disbelief on his face and said, "i'm not sure a warning makes it any better."  sweet jesus please, please let me make it to a bathroom.

i make it to a bathroom, barely, quickly change my outfit and spruce up my make up a bit and we are back in the car racing to get to the brewery on time.  everyone who knows me, knows that being late is one of my biggest pet peeves.  i do everything in my powers to get places on time, but we were running late, about 10 minutes to be exact.  on the way there, there was a little bit of chit chat about my parents and what could be expected.  little did either of us know, we were both being bombarded.

i walked through the door, two weeks before my actual birthday, and there before me was almost all of my closest friends and family.  i was seriously dumbfounded. i had absolutely no idea that this was in the works.  the range of emotions was overwhelming and all of a sudden i was in the midst of the ugly cry.  i really just couldn't believe that all of these people, most of them i had just seen that week, were all gathered for my birthday.

for a brief moment i completely forgot about mr. saturday date, but then i remembered him and i felt so bad.  i was sure i wasn't ever going to see him again and i would be sending in my email to brooke and jubal's second date update to plead my case.  i learned that sam went to great lengths trying to find my date to warn him of what he was walking into and possibly give him the opportunity to bail. she joined people finder, called people out of the phone book and even joined the dating site i met him on with no luck.  he never got the heads up, but he was a total trooper and we are still talking.

so there you go, a 40th birthday party to write home about.  i had the best time.  i am so extremely grateful to all the wonderful liars i have in life.  
















1 comment:

B. Barnett said...

Isn't being 40 great? I'm glad we made it. Thanks for sharing your special experience.